Study Habits - How Much Time?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've been knee deep in JavaScript for the past few weeks. Generally, I've been reading and "labbing" every day for around two hours. I find that after about two hours I stop retaining what I've read. When studying, how much time do you find it takes before you need to take a break? Usually after each lesson I take about five minutes, but still two hours seems to be about the mark.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I am trying to learn something such as CCNA I read in the morning and did labs in the evening. Finished off with videos when I was tired.

Two hours is around my limit also. But I can do two in the morning and two in the evening.
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tend to set objectives that aren't really time-based. Sometimes that means reading a set number of pages or figuring out a particular objective, no matter how long it takes (well, within reason). I try to make the goal achievable and realistic, but if it turns out to be harder than I thought then I adjust. Like right now for my current studying I'm doing a chapter a night, and if it's material I know pretty well I zoom through it and reward myself by being done fast. Some chapters are much tougher and it takes a lot longer... sometimes I have to reevaluate and say I'll finish up this chapter tomorrow.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have found that doing 45-60mins and then a short break works best for me. I have actually figured out a system that keeps me productive. I start laundry and then every time the dryer completes, I take a break and fold the laundry. Then back to studying.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I stopped labbing several years ago. I'll break out the adventureworks database every blue moon to test something out but for me it's really world or bust. I've always been like that and for years I tried to go against my nature and it was PAINFUL. At the end of the day if I am using the skills at work I learn them and I usually do supplemental reading and research and even do additional work at home to learn more and more. But if it's something new that I don't use somewhat frequently then I just have to accept reality and forget about it.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I mix reading. labs and exam simulation between 1 to 2 hours, after two hours I retain less, now it is different when the exam is near, I increment to 3 hours and it is difficult for me to stop.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    1 hour with breaks in between.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I'm able to do 2 hours on weekday and 6 hours on weekends spread apart with 2 hour blocks with an hour nap in-between. I've found that taking a 1 hour nap lets me absorb the material and for my brain to 'reset', I find I retain the knowledge better too...

Usually by the time I get to 5 hours though I get hungry and eat and then off to gearing up my Boomkin level 100 druid.