Options

Recomended Reading & Advice

SouthgateSouthgate Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am finding that although I have already read through the study materials I have and understand the concepts presented therein. However I am having a degree of difficulty memorising all the tables of information e.g. IRQ's, DMA Channels, IDE/ATA standards, processor clock speeds etc. Any advice on how I might get this stuff to stick? Or any advice on what I should concentrate on memorising, for example do I really need to know the clock speeds and slot type for every Intel cpu there has ever been?
I think a lot of it will improve with practical experience which I will be getting more of during the workshop days I'll soon be attending, but I want to be as ready as possible for when I do attend them. In lots of ways it feels comparable to reading how to drive a car without actually doing it and I don't feel like it's going to stick until I'm actually using the information I'm trying to memorise.
Also do you have any recommended reading in addition to my study notes that might be of use?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, the memorization part is tough on any exam. Have you looked at the PrepLogic audio CD's? Pop one in your car while you drive and let it soak in.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    xosagxosag Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My advice would be to know the SCSI and IDE/ATA standards pretty well, and, if you're going to spend time just hard memorizing, I'd recommend getting a firm grasp on IRQ and I/O addresses. Slots and sockets are pretty important as well, so I guess you should know those also. Perhaps you could put a review book under your pillow and sleep on it? :P But, in all seriousness, flash cards and that sort of stuff works pretty well, along with laminating a list of the things you want to memorize and just putting them all around your house/apartment, like that spot on the ceiling where you stare while trying to fall asleep, in front of the toilet, and maybe even inside the shower.