Is this ICND 1 book too old?

Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello! I have a slightly older ICND1 book from 2008 that a friend gave me. He lost the CD's and things that went with it. Do you think this book is still good? Or a little too outdated? I got to chapter 3 on cabling but I wanted to ask you guys. I didn't want to go through this whole book and end up not passing because my information is outdated.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    The CCNA and the ICND1 have had a massive revamp since 2008 so I'd just scrap the old book and invest 20 quid on the new one. Maybe cross check the topics the book covers with the new blueprint and that way you can make use of the old book for any relevant topics before moving onto the new one (if that makes sense?).

Check out this link to the exam topics etc:

100-101 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alex90 wrote: »
    The CCNA and the ICND1 have had a massive revamp since 2008 so I'd just scrap the old book and invest 20 quid on the new one. Maybe cross check the topics the book covers with the new blueprint and that way you can make use of the old book for any relevant topics before moving onto the new one (if that makes sense?).

Check out this link to the exam topics etc:

100-101 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

I kind of figured. When it started mentioning hubs on "modern" networks thats when I started getting concerned. I just started on my networking knowledge path but even I know hubs are complete and utter garbage that went obsolete 10 years ago.
  • HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hubs are still mentioned in the current books! Although more in a 'this is what we used to have to put up with' kinda way. Anyway, soon after the latest CCNA was released, Wendell Odom wrote a blog post on using the older study guides with the new exam...

Using the Old Books to Study for the New Exams | Wendell's CCNA Skills Blog

There are reading guides toward the bottom of the page depending on which edition you have and which exam you are studying for.

Hope this helps.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Not 100% as I've never sat a ICND exam, the content probably has changed quite a bit but may be worth a quick read. Content changes for the exam but fundamentals and technology still stays the same, eg: OSI Model & TCP/IP Model.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]