Topology Help URGENT

BrandonB27BrandonB27 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I have this project im working on and cant seem to get it to work correctly, i do not know if im doing it right.

There are 4 sections:

Admissions 77 hosts
Finance 34 hosts
Teachers 33 hosts
Administration 26 hosts

plus i need to add a wifi router that is a totally different subnet that needs to be conected to the other sections but cannot comunicate with then (vlans i think).
  • Each section must have their own subnet.
  • They need to have acces to voice and data (ip phone and pc)
  • Need to use Private Ip addresses
What VLANS do i have to set up?

I used a class B address IP:

and those are the subnets i used.

This is the topology i have soo far.
Soo inside each subnet there is comunication, between pc's inside same branch and up to its router. But how to i get conection between each sections router and the main switch "Sede 1" and how do i comunicate it with Switch "Sede 2"?
Is this correct soo far?
I need help ASAP please!

Comments

• broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you waited until the last minute to do your homework. Some of the questions that you're asking makes me think that you haven't done any reading...

Let us start with what a vlan is. Knowing that should help you answer some of the other points.
  • BrandonB27BrandonB27 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did not wait for the last moment, I'd Appreciate your help since i live in a third world country, and my teacher assisted to only 3 clases during the semester. This is a proyect i need to turn in soon. And there isnt much i can do without help. I do know what a Vlan is for. But ive read and im not the only one who confused the need of a VLAN while already having a subnet. Instead of judging me, id appreciate some help. Ive investigated alot on my own, But one needs to know when to ask for help.

There is conection and ping within the same branches or sections...each one is a different subnet. But my mayor question is how to connect each router to the switch correctly, because i do not know if im doing it correctly.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the forum software is screwed up tonight.. I cant delete my post
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you know what a vlan is, then you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out how multiple vlans communicate. Once you figure that out, you're golden. You're almost there.
    2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

Adam B wrote: »
    If you know what a vlan is, then you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out how multiple vlans communicate. Once you figure that out, you're golden. You're almost there.

what i find strange is that it specifies that each subnet or branch cannot communicate with each other for security reasons, without a VLAN that already happens because they belong to seperate subnets, am i wrong? And later it say's that they must be connected together. This has me confused.
    the router is the key that allows communication between the different vlans.
    In the topology picture i posted from the routers down, every subnet works just fine. With comunication only inside each subnet. My problem resides on how to connect each router to the switch "sede 1" correctly. What IP addres do i apply to the line from router 1 for example, to switch "Sede 1". Shouldnt the switch automatically allocate an address? that is really my only problem right now.
    No. Switches do not hand out addresses

Hold on a minute. In a Class C address range, how many useable hosts are there? I said useable

Here you go.. This will help you study.. It does for me icon_cheers.gif

[video=youtube_share;8fAi8Jc2hrw]http://youtu.be/8fAi8Jc2hrw[/video]
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well it looks like you have lots of end devices connected to several switches and each switch has several vlans. and there are 3 ways to enable routing between vlans:
    1) give each vlan a connection to a router (not the right way to do it)
    2) use a level 3 switch
    3) set up a trunk that goes to a router and use sub interfaces for the addressing.
    So, how you would do it is have all your access switches trunk to a level 3 switch as your core switch and have it do all the intervlan routing.
    Or, have all your access switches trunk to a core switch and the core switch trunks to a router to do the intervlan routing (roas).
    you will need to configure the trunk between the router and core switch because routers don't automatically do trunking. and you need to sub interfaces to assign a address for each vlan on the router
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well switch don't use ip addresses, they use mac address. the don't really care what the ip addresses are. Other than you assign an address for the vlans. That is because a router know what network that it is connected to by what address is assign to the interface. And, if the router will only route traffic to the network it knows. So, if the vlan isn't on that network it will never get any traffic because the router will never send the traffic there. So, just pick an address, then be consisant and assign the appropriate address on the same network to for all the routers and the switch vlan address. Then you need to set up the routers to do the routering, eigrp, ospf, etc.
    but a better way to do it is to trunk your switches together, than run a trunk to a router to do your intervlan routing.
    clarson wrote: »
    well switch don't use ip addresses, they use mac address. the don't really care what the ip addresses are. Other than you assign an address for the vlans. That is because a router know what network that it is connected to by what address is assign to the interface. And, if the router will only route traffic to the network it knows. So, if the vlan isn't on that network it will never get any traffic because the router will never send the traffic there. So, just pick an address, then be consisant and assign the appropriate address on the same network to for all the routers and the switch vlan address. Then you need to set up the routers to do the routering, eigrp, ospf, etc.
    but a better way to do it is to trunk your switches together, than run a trunk to a router to do your intervlan routing.

Thank you kind sir, i will try doing that !
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I made a topology in Packet Tracer that uses a router and a wi-fi card for a wireless laptop. Here's how I got it to work:
    (Use your own addressing scheme)

Using a 2811 router, turn the router off, add the HWIC-AP-AG-B module to the router in slot 0.
    Turn the router back on.
    Using the CLI, type the following commands:
    Router>en
    Router#config t
    Router(config)# dot11 ssid ADMIN
    Router(config-ssid)#exit
    Router(config)# int dot11Radio 0/0/0
    Router(config-if)#ip address 172.16.10.1 255.255.255.0
    Router(config-if)#no shutdown
    Router(config-if)#ssid ADMIN
    Router(config-if)#exit

I went to the Laptop, removed the Fast Ethernet module, inserted the
    "PT-LAPTOP-NM-1W wireless module, turn the laptop back on.
    Under the Config Tab, type in the "SSID" name - ADMIN , Authentication is turned off.
    On the router, you need to set up DHCP to give out addresses on the DOT11Radio interface.

Router(config)# ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.10
    Router(config)# ip dhcp pool Admin
    Router(dhcp-config)#network 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0
    Router(dhcp-config)#default-router 172.16.10.1
    Router(dhcp-config)#ip name-server 172.16.10.4
    Router(config)# exit

Go back to the Laptop, Click on Desktop, check the bullet on Static,
    then check the DHCP bullet, laptop will configure its IP stack.

I can now ping successfully from the wireless laptop to the router.

hth