Need Help 410

ignacioalfonsoignacioalfonso Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

I am new in Windows Certification, i am planning to have an MCSA for Windows Server 20112 . but i've been looking around the web and on different forums on what learning path i should take (videos? ebook?) rather a study guide to pass the MCSA series (410,411,412). i dont have the financial capacity to enroll to a microsoft training center so my best option with be is to self-study.

i already have a CB nuggets video 410 2012/r2 by james conrad and decent a computer for a lab.
but i still im having hesitations if this would be enough to pass the 410.

help/comment/suggestions is highly appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CBT videos alone will not be enough to pass the exam unless you have many years of Windows Server experience under your belt (preferably in an enterprise environment). Microsoft exams are quite difficult. (The people that write those test questions are basically playing a game called "Stump the Sysadmin." That's sure as hell what it seems like.)

I highly recommend the Sybex book Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 by Mark Minasi. That book covers all three of the exams related to the MCSA: Server 2012 certification. The CBT videos will be a good complement to the book. The book can be purchased on Amazon.

You will need to lab everything that you encounter in the book, including setting up an AD DS domain in a lab environment, DHCP and DNS roles, IPAM, DHCP Failover, etc. The book presumes that you already know how to configure a domain in a test/lab environment, but it also explains some of the basics such as setting up AD DS, creating user roles, etc. Google and Technet will also be a vital resource.

Take your time, and again, LAB EVERYTHING.

As far as the lab goes, you can easily virtualize the environment using modest desktop hardware. For software, you could use Windows 8.1 Pro Hyper-V (my recommendation), VMware Player, VMware Workstation, Oracle Virtualbox, etc. Lots of free options.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • ignacioalfonsoignacioalfonso Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the only working experience i have is windows server 2003 r2, i know this technology is totally outdated but im trying my best to catch a certfication so i can move out of my current employer.

is it safe to take an MCSE for Windows 2008? or just go straight to windows 2012 r2?
    2008 R2 and 2012 R2 are similar enough, and there's plenty of 2012 R2 study material out there by now that I recommend going straight to MCSA: Server 2012. That way you won't have to worry about upgrading later.

The only situation I would recommend going the MCSA: Server 2008 route would be if you were set on obtaining the MCSA: Windows 7 cert.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • ayubjonayubjon Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I’ve already passed 410 and 411 exams, so I think I can add some points here.

Generally, what I do is, take exam objectives from Microsoft website. Then, just go with one by one with those objectives. For example take Deploy, Manage, and maintain servers objective. It includes Windows Deployment Services (WDS). I would go to technet.com and start reading the page related to WDS. Try to understand what WDS is used for. What is the requirements? Find out few PowerShell cmdlets to use with WDS. (Well this is true with other Windows services and servers. AD FS, GP, etc.)

Once you have basic understanding of the service, install it in your lab. For the lab, I have a laptop with Windows 8.1, 16 GB RAM and 500 SSD, Hyper-V. I use differencing disks and second generation VMs. Second generation VMs on Hyper-V are faster and differencing disks will save your hard disk space.

In the lab you can try different scenarios. Then I would go to the next objective and so on.
    It takes time, I know, but this is best way to learn for me. Otherwise I forget what I’ve learned.
    i was able to grab a copy of the "Mastering Windows Server 2012 r2 by mark minsai" started reading now.
    but should i break this book down into chapter by chapter like 1 - 2 - 3? or there's a possibility that ill be skipping chapters and look only for the content of 410?

the price for a win serv 2012 r2 training here cost a total of 2000$ i dont have that kind of resources. so my only chance is to read the book and watch the video.
    ayubjon wrote: »
    I’ve already passed 410 and 411 exams, so I think I can add some points here.

Once you have basic understanding of the service, install it in your lab. For the lab, I have a laptop with Windows 8.1, 16 GB RAM and 500 SSD, Hyper-V. I use differencing disks and second generation VMs. Second generation VMs on Hyper-V are faster and differencing disks will save your hard disk space.

In the lab you can try different scenarios. Then I would go to the next objective and so on.
    It takes time, I know, but this is best way to learn for me. Otherwise I forget what I’ve learned.

I am running a Core i3 3220, with 16GB ram, windows 8 , 30GB SSD, 2 x 500GB HDD
    i hope this is enough to run the labs.

what learning materials did you use?
  • ayubjonayubjon Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am running a Core i3 3220, with 16GB ram, windows 8 , 30GB SSD, 2 x 500GB HDD
    i hope this is enough to run the labs.

what learning materials did you use?

Usually materials on technet.com is enough for me. But I also search google for blogs writted by Microsoft staff on particular products. Here is example: IT Tips and Tricks: Complete guide to WDS (Windows Deployment Server) in Windows Server 2012

Best regards.
    Here's the order I recommend you tackle this situation:

1) CBT videos
    2a) Read book
    2b) Lab as you read
    2c) Research Google and Technet as you inevitably encounter errors and issues as you lab. This is an important part of the learning process.
    3) Optionally, you can subscribe to a legitimate practice test provider like MeasureUp to help prepare for the actual exam.

Good luck!

srabiee wrote: »
    Here's the order I recommend you tackle this situation:

1) CBT videos
    2a) Read book
    2b) Lab as you read
    2c) Research Google and Technet as you inevitably encounter errors and issues as you lab. This is an important part of the learning process.
    3) Optionally, you can subscribe to a legitimate practice test provider like MeasureUp to help prepare for the actual exam.

Good luck!

where can i get an updated exam coverage (skill measured)? been looking at borntolearn and the wiki there seems to be updated.
    im already starting putting up my lab and reading early chapter from the book you recommended. i hope everything ends up well.
    im planning to take the exam this coming january 2015