Options

50K for Desktop Support ( Capped out at 60K)

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does it makes sense for me to get paid 50k as a desktop support if I been doin it for a long time and have a degree.
Manager says if I stay with this company I can still get promoted as a lead Field Tech and max out at 60k no more than that.

Comments

• Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Depends on location and responsibilities.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes doing a job for "x" amount of years is not enough. Are you adding value to the company? Are you bringing new skills to the position? Are you a top performer? This is what gets you promoted, not just doing a job for a certain amount of time.

Also, a promotion usually entails an increase in responsibility. If your duties are the same then you shouldn't really expect a promotion...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What are your career goals? If you are fine with support and $50k then it makes sense. If you have been doing this for a long time and move up then probably not.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Leading some Field Tech
    Supporting more than 1000 users day during business hours
    May work on some technical projects
    No on call
    Um its a government job thou
    Trouble shoot servers and fix PCs of all sorts
    troubleshooting sonic walls and firewalls
  • Options
    Could rarely require overtime since Im a non exempt (Overtime pay):D.
    And going out in the field to all sorts of site.
    Set up new printers PCs and laptops for clients
    document tickets and how technical problem was solved for client
    Clean up malware on PCs
    May do some networking tasks
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Where do you live?

Get on Dice, Indeed, Glassdoor, Salary.com, etc and see what's out there and what similar positions in your area are paying. You need to determine the average market value in your area and then you'll have a better idea on what you are worth. Also, remember the following:

1) Many times, you have to move on to move up. (change jobs)
    2) And sometimes, you have to move out. (change locations)
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I make close to that with an Associate's, ~1 year of IT experience, and the certs listed to the left. It's a good wage for me at the moment. Not what I want to be making in a few years though. Depends on the area on whether it's fair or not.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds about right to me. Support caps out eventually regardless of the number of years of experience that you have. I'd start looking to get out of support if you are looking to make more then 50k a year.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Hmmm.. It really depends on location and I guess I live in a relatively low COL area in the Midwest. However, that being said I think even 50K is pretty high for desktop support--especially here, that would be a lot. I know some lower level Network Admins and System Admins who are making that and have degrees and certs.

I would look on advancing out of Desktop Support though to be truly honest. I see Desktop Support as an area that will probably get slowly phased out as companies move towards managed solutions and in some cases more thin client - thick server model. Get your hands on networking, storage, virtualization, etc.
  • Options
    I consider 50k and 60k good enough for my needs
    I dont really need that much money but in the Desktop Support Field I just wonder to what point Desktop Support people capped out at what wage or salary.
    For the most part its mostly hands on troubleshooting with cool tech gadgets helpin out my end users and workin on some side projects and leading some other Field Techs get along with them and worked good together as a team. Nothing way too hard I like it end users are chill and company does provides plenty of paid vacations and get lots of paid holidays off :Dand benefits so its kind of a trade off and good deal i think
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I enjoy desktop support and have stayed here for a while. I'm now positioning myself for other things, but it's fun and I work a steady 9 to 6. Over the cap with an AAS, certs, and experience.
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do Desktop Support as a government contractor and make about 54K in a relatively low cost of living area. I made 32K at my last Desktop Support role and now have about 7 years of total experience doing it. I'm preparing to return to school to get a graducate level certificate, and possibly my masters in Cyber Security to change fields.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    In short, 50k is barely average for a hot tech economy & a bachelors degree.
  • Options
    onatechmissiononatechmission Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like others have mentioned…it depends on the area and the job itself. Where 50k starting as far as desktop support/jr system admin is within the government sector…usually anywhere from (54-70k as a GS-9) and (59-77k as a GS-11) or higher but it depends on the location and the organization, however with all the red tape and talks about downsizing can be a toss up in the air.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    50k for desktop support.

There is a lot that depends on that.
    Company
    etc

My first Networking job paid less than that.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Desktop Support making 32k here.

Location, location, location...although I'd still consider myself on the low end of the scale for my area, especially considering what I do. Not many "desktop support" folks have domain admin accounts, full access to all routers, switches, firewall, IP cameras, phone system, access control system, etc. (and use them on an almost daily basis).
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still don't think you have mentioned location unless I missed it...

In Chicago, I have seen many a help desk job at 50k. My last help desk job I was over 57k.

Mind you not all help desk are that, I would guess help desk in Chicago is between 40-50k average. Desktop support is usually around 50-65k with executive support sometimes pushing 80k or more.

Contrast to a buddy of mine in Rockford, which is 100 miles give or take from Chicago, who has a desktop support/server admin hybrid role and makes 35k. I also get plenty of emails for jobs in Madison or Peoria for 13 dollars and hour at help desk and 15 dollars an hour for desktop support.

-scott
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Desktop Engineer in Phoenix, AZ here. Started out in college helpdesk back in 2000. Stayed in helpdesk far too long, but I did do basic desktop and PC tech stuff. Moved onto Point of Sales Installer in 2005. Then onto my first real Desktop Support position later in 2005. Since then I've moved from Tier 2 Desktop to Tier 3/4 Desktop or Sr. Engineer positions...up and down as economy was semi rough in 2008-2012. I got a bachelors degree in Mathematics back in May 2011. Since January 2013 I've been a Desktop Engineer, building images with vmwares, scripting, and creating deployment solutions, doing desktop support, software & hw break-fix, executive support as well. This gig is w-2 consultant, started out making low 70k range last year. Negotiated a $10k raise this year (year #2)...so I'm low 80's.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    According to some salary guides I've came acropss for the US I'm seeing desktop support positions from $52k up to $70k. I guess it really depends on where you live. I would say $55k is a good starting point, especially if you have a few years of experience under your belt. A lot of people move up and out of desktop support to more specific/advanced roles though. I would consider what your next move is how you're going to get there. Good luck!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!