Options

Single Mode vs Multi mode

romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know an easy way to remember the types of single modes, and multi modes; and their distances?

Comments

• Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    all i remember is to get to the KM lengths you need single mode fiber cables. Just seems like something you'll have to drill into your head, im doing the same thing >.<
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    Its one of the main things i'm bad at, i'm starting to feel comfortable with the rest of the material esp; subnetting, wireless standards, soho
  • Options
    Honestly your chances of getting a boat load of fiber related questions on your exam is probably pretty slim. I view the fiber standards as something that can be quickly referenced when needed. Honestly im worried keeping current on things like the: OSI model, protocols, subnetting and troubleshooting. Thankfully i have a pretty grasp on all of that.
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    I also hate the Securities section!!! Ahhhh
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    I wouldn't get into the specifics as far as distances go. Just know which is for long distance runs and which is for short distance runs. Also know how the light propogates through the cable
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just remember: singlemode is a single laser beam pulse going down the cable. Which can go further a single smooth beam or a crap load of beams colliding into one another ( AKA multimode ). Every good network guru should have this embedded in their brain:
    10G ethernet=
    OM1= 25meters (old school 62.5 micron fiber, orange)
    OM3= 300 meters (50 micron usually aqua in color)
    OM4= 400 meters (enhanced 50 micron aqua or purple)
    SM= 10KM or greater (8 micron always yellow if indoor)

Source = me spending 18 years doing cabling. Best of luck on your exam.
  • Options
    New_FeetNew_Feet Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just remember anything that's not fiber is 100 meters.. and that's basically anything with the word baseT the T is for twisted pair. after that you get into the gigabit standards then things start to change into basefx ... sx all that heck even i dont know em all. but as far as your dsl just remember 18,0000 feet away from provider for distance on that. multimode is multiple lights thicker glass tube. Single mode is thinner tube one light.

CX will mess you up im studying myself so dont quote me Im trying to go off my memory here but that will be coaxial and its max is 25 meters. Im sure someone will come behind me and either prove me right or wrong..
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

you are right about cx i have that one embedded cause its just an awkward one. My main thing is memorizing, lw vs lr vs sw vs ew vs er vs sr and all their lengths not to mention lx and lh LOL
  • Options
    ^^ stahp!! lol
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    As long as you can remember that MultiMode is used over short distances and SingleMode is use over long distances you shouldnt have too much trouble with the fiber questions.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    If it helps, try making flash cards and keep studying them until you remember.