2521 upgrade

steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
Hi,

I have a 2521 router with no image in flash. I have an image ready but the router has no ethernet port and when I boot into rommon it doesn't recognize the copy xmodem flash command. I really need to get this router working icon_confused.gif

Any help will do icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
I am the lizard King. I can do anything.

Comments

• homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    Yeah I'm having trouble with my 2507 router. copy xmodem flash doesn't work too well either.
  • hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
    well, you probably can use the copy xmodem flash command due to the IOS version you have, probably 11.x or something...

Are you sure that the router doesn't have Ethernet port, i mean ,either rj-45 or AUI?

Because i if you have the last one you only need an AUI adapter and then the only way to upgrade is via a tftp server.

...good luck....
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you in rommon with the > prompt?

Or the minimum IOS in the BIOs?
    Are you sure that the router doesn't have Ethernet port, i mean ,either rj-45 or AUI?
    It has Token Ring
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Well is there some sort of strange way that I can do it - maybe via serial.
    I am in MiniIOS sorry with 'Router(boot)>' prompt.
    well, you probably can use the copy xmodem flash command due to the IOS version you have, probably 11.x or something...

There is no IOS it's been erased.

I know what they look like, no none. icon_smile.gif

Guess it's off to ebay for a new router icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

Thanx
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Perhaps you can throw the IOS image to the flash using a PC?

Just a thought.
    mmmmmmmm i just wondered..... if you have antoher router i believe that you can upgrade the ios
    just take the flash from the 2521 router and put it on the another who already has one and proceed with copy .

then put it on the 2521.

if not

www.ebay.com

icon_eek.gif
    In boot image, wouldn't you have to set the router's IP to coincide with the TFTP server's network?
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Danman32 wrote:
    In boot image, wouldn't you have to set the router's IP to coincide with the TFTP server's network?

He has no ethernet interface, so he can't TFTP. That's why I stated "it don't look good".....
    Why can't he via serial or token ring, assuming he has something else to connect to by these methods (such as another router)?

If he can borrow another 2921 with a valid image, he can set that up as a TFTP server and connect to it via serial.
    how does he can setup the router as a tftp server?

because he can setup the router with the ip add (tftpt server)but what about the port that tftp uses, i mean, how do you set the router to use the port 69 to solve this problem?

nevertheless it can works....(but how?!?!?!?!)
    TFTP by default uses port 69, so there's nothing to set. Once the working router is set to run TFTP services, it should listen on port 69.

The question I have though, is how to you configure the disabled router to:
    A: use the serial port to communicate to the other router (or token ring if that's the connection choice)
    B: define an IP on the connecting interface to match the network of the working router?

I suppose the boot image has enough in it to make these neede temp configs?
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    It would seem the easiest way would be to use a different router to load the IOS onto the flash, then put the flash back into your router. You may be able to buy preloaded flash.

I once had to do something similar.
    yes ,the rom has the basic features (basic features) to become the router reachable,

but in this case i really doubt that the router can be setting as a tftp server becasue the image on rom is pretty limited.

bubba i'm agree with you...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    steve-o87 wrote:
    Guess it's off to ebay for a new router icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

Hey -- its an excuse to buildup your lab. icon_lol.gif

So -- what do you have? If you don't have token ring, but you have the mini IOS... Do you have another 2500 router?

You can try the back-to-back serial option. You can try the AUX ports back to back. If you do have an ethernet 2500 -- then do the Flash transplant option.

If you don't have the XModem option in the miniIOS -- what version of BIOs do you have? Is it a 4.x or 5.x? or a newer 11.x?
    but in this case i really doubt that the router can be setting as a tftp server becasue the image on rom is pretty limited.
    Another router would be the TFTP server (serial or AUX connection) -- the sick IOS-less router would just be the client.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Thanks guys for all of your help and suggestions. I have finally got it fixed.

I connected my "sick 2500" to my 1700 via a serial cable and made a default gateway on the 2500 pointing to the 1700 serial interface which is connected to my pc and the tftp sever did it's thing. So THANKYOU all.

Cheers