Puppet Professional 2014

notquitecertifiablenotquitecertifiable Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
I took the 'PPT-202 System Administration Using Puppet' exam today and as I've not seen it mentioned much on the forum I thought i should put a small post together. Hopefully the Linux section is an ok place to post.

I've been using puppet for a couple of years now as a small part of my work so in addition to a decent base level of knowledge I also re-read Pro Puppet (2nd edition) and worked through the sample exam. This book, plus hands on experence and a little bit of reading about the Puppet Enterprise product features should be enough to get you a decent pass.

The exam is multiple choice, including code samples, and most of the questions are quite direct. There is very little in the way of deliberately trick questions which made a nice change. The exam's quite cheap and was easy enough to prepare for due to my day to day work so I think it's a useful one to have on the CV for a sysadmin. I have no idea how big the market is for the cert itself but puppet is in quite high demand in London.

Resources -
Pro Puppet
Sample Exam

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Thanks for the review. I'm taking that later this year or early next year.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Puppet is in huge demand in Australia as well. I can't say that I love puppet, I just use it lightly.

Thanks for the review, very helpful. I thought about doing this exam....motivation is needed though icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• pandoso360pandoso360 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The key to pass this exam is "hands on experience".
    i read the docs and the pro puppet book as well as created a small lab for it, but the questions were really about scenarios that can happen during daily operations.

Maybe I'll attempt it again in the future if a job were puppet is used comes along but until then, it was a fun experience.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I dig puppet. Last $position , I had the oppertunity to take the Advanced puppet training which now I guess would be the puppet practitioner training. Didn't think much about the exam at that point as I didn't see it come up on Indeed.com often. Now though, after a quick search looks like there are more places looking for the cert these days. I'll have to consider it. Thanks for the review and pointers.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • dissectiondissection Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the 'PPT-202 System Administration Using Puppet' exam today and as I've not seen it mentioned much on the forum I thought i should put a small post together. Hopefully the Linux section is an ok place to post.

I've been using puppet for a couple of years now as a small part of my work so in addition to a decent base level of knowledge I also re-read Pro Puppet (2nd edition) and worked through the sample exam. This book, plus hands on experence and a little bit of reading about the Puppet Enterprise product features should be enough to get you a decent pass.

The exam is multiple choice, including code samples, and most of the questions are quite direct. There is very little in the way of deliberately trick questions which made a nice change. The exam's quite cheap and was easy enough to prepare for due to my day to day work so I think it's a useful one to have on the CV for a sysadmin. I have no idea how big the market is for the cert itself but puppet is in quite high demand in London.

Resources -
    Pro Puppet
    Sample Exam

Can you please inform about the passing score of the exam? I am planning to take it tomorrow and i cannot find any info about it