CCNA Datacenter Wrap Up

staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed the 640-916 today on my second try, completing the CCNA Datacenter certification. Since I don't see a ton of threads about CCNA DC I thought I'd post my thoughts and observations.

Even though I failed the 916 (by 9 freaking points!) I felt the 640-911 was much harder. This test seems to have been updated recently and contained a lot of questions that neither Todd Lammle nor CBT Nuggets even mentioned. I was able to pass based on previous knowledge by I highly suggest reading the blue print before you sit this exam. In fact, it might actually be worth taking the 640-916 first.

My biggest gripe with 640-916 is that I work in the field and am not a reseller. The test focused too much on product lines. I tried to ignore it as suggested by CBT Nuggets but my mastery of other areas wasn't quite there so I failed...by 9 points no less. I decided to retake the test ASAP and was able to improve my score and pass - even got 100% in three sections!

So, have a good understanding of the 2, 5, and 7k lines along with a general idea of the MDS line. CBT Nuggets was my only training for 640-916, but I would reccomend going a little deeper on the product lines then Anthony does.

if anyone is interested I can post my notes or answer any questions! Otherwise I'll be going after CCNP DC!

Comments

• dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea i am very interested in your notes and thoughts on this exam, i have been watching the nuggets and reading the nexus next generation data center architectures.

From my reading of the CCNA center Study guide it seemed it had a lot of basic stuff with nexus thrown in there but i see that you have your ccent.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never knew there was a CCNA:DC, was still trying to figure out if I needed to take the CCNA:SP or the CCNA:SP Ops for ISP related work.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would definitely agree that 640-916 was harder than 640-911. I think Cisco is trying to lay some foundations (What's an F_port? What's an N_Port? etc) but it's easy to get lost in the product family crap. If you haven't worked at a partner or studied the product pages in depth, it'll be quite a bit easier for you.

As far as the CCNP DC, It's a LOT more config and real technical fun. Have fun with it :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Iris he says he thinks the 640-911 was harder you thought the opposite, which is what i would think seeing as how the 640-911 has more ccna stuff
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ah I misread - I tend to read/reply while on the move.

I guess it depends on experience. The CCNA-level stuff I already had walking in so 640-911 was easier. On the other hand, memorizing features on various models of MDS, Nexus 7K blades/sups, and N5Ks was a bit tedious at first thus more difficult to me.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It all depends on your background and knowledge. The feature/model memorization was definitely tedius (And it just continues), but I did better on that than on 640-911, as I'm 7 years out from my CCNA-RS, and I don't work with network equipment often in my day job.

More importantly, congratulations staticz, and great job on getting right back on the test . I definitely agree that for me, it's best to immediately retake. Don't let the knowledge get stale, or more importantly, have time to psych myself out about whether I "really know the information."

I love me the new'ish datacenter track, as it's letting me get back into my Cisco certificatoins while sticking with what I do day to day.
  • staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CCENT part of 640-911 was business as usual. It was the (recently?) added stuff that Lamelle and CBT Nuggets did not cover at all. There was some bleed over (model numbers, cable lengths, etc) in the 640-911 that I was not expecting at all. The 916 is as instructed by Anthony over at CBT Nuggets, which is why, even though I failed, I found it easier.

Thanks for all of the kind words! I'll throw my notes into a Google Doc this weekend.
    You have this document ready yet sir.
  • HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm fortunate enough to work daily with Nexus kit. OTV, Fex's, etherchannelling are something I do every day.

Do not touch the UCS though.

Much of it in 916?
  • staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dsgm wrote: »
    You have this document ready yet sir.

Sorry, I took the notes in Evernote and they are not translating well to Google Docs. I can put something together but it will be messy.
    Hypersonik wrote: »
    I'm fortunate enough to work daily with Nexus kit. OTV, Fex's, etherchannelling are something I do every day.

Do not touch the UCS though.

Much of it in 916?

There is enough that you should be somewhat familiar with it. CBT Nuggets provided ample coverage though. Also you can download the Cisco USC Platform Emulator to get some hands on time.
    i will take all the notes i can get
  • HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    staticz wrote: »
    Sorry, I took the notes in Evernote and they are not translating well to Google Docs. I can put something together but it will be messy.

There is enough that you should be somewhat familiar with it. CBT Nuggets provided ample coverage though. Also you can download the Cisco USC Platform Emulator to get some hands on time.

Appreciated. We had the UCS at the other place I worked, but I left before ever getting to have a go.