Options

Subnetting in Net+

ZaaxZaax Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off, hello! long time lurker, first time posting (finally)

I did a little searching to see if I can find any information on what type of subnettng questions were asked on h Net+ exam, but I couldn't find anything with detail. Im basically trying to see as to how in depth they do go into? Can I expect to see questions like find the first address and Bcast address of 192.168.45.177/28 ? Or more detailed?

I am currently done with ICND1 classes and wrapping up ICND2. I was going to continue to study and cram for a month before attempting to test, so I figured I may just knock out Net+ while I am doing that as something to break up the time and monotony of studying. I feel like I have a very solid subnetting base since I can do it in my head and was wondering if I should focus more on my cabling and other things that are not really covered in ICND1, or should I mix in some more subnetting.

Thanks for the time!

Comments

• Options
    romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i'm currently studying for the exam and alot of people say that you should be solid on your sub netting! if you are very comfortable than focus on other things, but you'll definitely see questions like 192.168.45.177/28, if not more elaborate than that. I'm using the cert after the exam cram and they both show questions with subnetting.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Beyond the exam; subnetting in your head is a very useful skill to have and can be used in your work daily even if your not a dedicated network person.

subnetting.net will get you prepared very well. Put aside 5-10 minutes daily and run through as many problems as you can.
  • Options
    New_FeetNew_Feet Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check this out.. hopefully this will help you anything after /24 is a class C /8 = 255.0.0.0 /16 = 255.255.0.0 /24 = 255.255.255.0 and then this is what I do....255.255.255 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1..
    /25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30 You must have at least two hosts. I can not tell you how many times that i have written this down as I am studying for the exam myself.. once you have written this down sooooo many times you will just look at it and be like OK a /26 is 192 a /29 is 248 a /28 is 240. Just write it over and over till you get it.....

a rule well im no expert but a rule that i call it is when you see a /23 or something like is to remember which octet your working with so you know off the top of your head its at least a /16 already so you have to add the remaining so .255.255 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23 = 254

But remember its in the 3rd octet so look at your ip address at the third octet..... their is two ways of doing this one i was doing and its the long way.. is to take your number in this case 254 and subtract it by 256 so 256-254 is "2" OK that is a long way doing it... the easy way of doing it is this look at where you stopped... the /23 stops at what number 2 you will always count by this number until you pass the number in the octet's place in this case you will count by 2 until you pass the 8.8.8<
    .8 so in this example we would do 2-3
    4-5
    6-7
    8-9
    10-9
    i should have chose a different number now im thinking lol..... a /23 with a 8 in the address is a bit tricky.. hmmmmm
    Someone please correct me if im wrong but im thinking that with my messed up example here this would be a 8.8.7.0 address

anyway... I probably gave you a real messed up example their sooo my original post was going to be this

IP Subnet Practice

you can practice here you will most definitely get it after a couple of tries and a lot of writing
  • Options
    New_FeetNew_Feet Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    By the way I had all my numbers underneath all the numbers to show you how they relate but the forum changed the layout of what i had typed. sorry it would look a lot better if the format didn't change the way i actually typed it.

yea I was wrong... I used this to confirm.. Subnet calculator
    just type in your example and it will tell you.. so my guessing of 8.8.7.0 is wrong its suppose to be 8.8.8.0..
  • Options
    romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The way i remember is:
    2^x (the number of bits taken by cidr) = number of subnets
    2^(y-2) (8-x) = number of hosts
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can subnet well enough for ICND1/2, you're good. I'd just refresh on it at subnetting.net a few times and make sure you're comfortable.
  • Options
    BlueRozeBlueRoze Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have taken ICND1 and the subnetting I learned in that class was more than enough to get me through Net+. If you remember that then you should be good.