PSTN Simulator

fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

I am trying to build a home lab for CCVP and was wondering if there is a way to simulate PSTN. I checked on ebay, they have some boxes that go for over $2500 that can simulate BRI, PRI and T1 but that too much for me. I was hoping for something under $100.
Could you please share your experiences on how did you go about using PSTN?

thanks

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Adtran atlas 550 with T1 and Pri interfaces, 8fxs and 4 ISDN BRI U interfaces

Multiple Cisco MC3810's with T1, FXO and FXS interfaces.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When you search on eBay make sure you search for "pots simulator" "pbx simulator" and "pstn simulator"

I started with a PBX Simulator (there's some for $30 right now on eBay) and then got the Ascend/Lucent MAX 6000. There are also the Madge -- so you might want to also search for "wan switch." There were a few Adtran deals a couple months back (around $250-$350) and there are some MAXs & Madges around $500-$800 on eBay right now.

I've also got the 5 MC3810s. They are great when you first start out because of the selection of ports you can get, and they can be cheap if you shop for them and wait for a deal. Then you can also use them later as your PSTN cloud if you add more current voice routers to your lab.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello

I was checking ebay and find this router for a reasonable price, but I dont know if it needs more modules. Could you let me know if this router is sufficient for CCVP or will I need to buy more cards for it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-MC3810-V-Router-w-DVM-T1-additional-T1_W0QQitemZ120212032847QQihZ002QQcategoryZ73321QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your help
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    fid500 wrote:
    Could you let me know if this router is sufficient for CCVP or will I need to buy more cards for it?
    One of my 5 is in that configuration -- with the 2 T1s. Couldn't see the memory, but it looks like 8 meg flash and the 6 DSP module.

When you're starting out, the AV6 Carrier and the FXS, FXO, and maybe E&M daughtercards are more useful, and you can have a single T1 with that -- so if you had 2 of these, then you could have "2 sites" and hook them up back to back via the T1s.

You can find some MC3810 info in these threads:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30127

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15869

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29653
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot Mike. I will check those links and hope to et something soon. I will post my lab once it s done.
    Thanks all for your help
  • sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guys, please, give an advice if it's possible to use Cisco 2801 router as PSTN.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Blimey you've dug up an old post here mate!
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    yes you can use it as a PSTN simulator, you may come up short trying to use it as a frame and PSTN at the same time.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some of the legacy routers work just as well...the newest IOS are not critical for a PSTN/WAN simulator, I'm using an old 3725, with 6 PRI & 8 serial.
    Thank you guys for you responses. Please be kind also to advice the necessary modules for my 2801 in order to simulate PSTN.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Man, we miss mikej icon_sad.gif
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    OK guys it seems that for PSTN simulation the following modules are required:
    WIC-1DSU-T1-V2
    VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1
    VWIC-2MFT-T1/DI

I'd be grateful if someone could explain the purpose of each module.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    to be honest with you if you don't know the meaning for the cards you aren't ready to built a PSTN simulator it would just beat on your brain.

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 That is a voice/network module. You can use it as a PRI Voice T1 or Data T1.
    The WIC-1DSU-T1 is a data T1 that you can use for frame-relay or just stright data T1
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related