Tips for learning SQL

cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone on the forums recommend any good entry level books/materials for learning SQL server? I can get the application from Dreamspark but the only experience I have with SQL is modifying pre-made scripts to pull/change the data I need to. Or am I making a bigger deal out of this than I should be. I'm asking because I have a database mgt. class starting this winter and I cannot order the book until about 2 weeks before the semester starts and i want to get a jump on it.

ALSO can you install SQL without using a product code so i don't have to waste it? Obtained legally of course.

EDIT:scratch that ^^ I found a free 180 day trial on the MS website
HAVE: A+
Working on: N+, CCENT
Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Head First SQL is a great book for learning. it uses mySQL but the syntax is very similar to SQL Server.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Joes 2 Pros is supposed to be a pretty decent series.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1st: I feel for you bermovick for being stuck at FLW, hope you don't catch anything lol

Ill give them a shot. Not really looking to turn into a pro overnight, just want a little familiarization.
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can also use SQL Server express for free or SQL Server developer edition for free. Both will be great learning tools.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Like i stated above i found that MS has the 180 day trials for SQL on their website so im thinking of doing that and ordering a Head First SQL book.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is nothing wrong with "reverse engineering" some SQL that someone else put together either. Take things out, modify things and see if you can get it to work how you want.
    It was a temp job i was at and left (ill never work in a dedicated call center again) and i don't have access to the Db or scripts anymore icon_sad.gif