Classes or books?

yamahafireflyyamahafirefly Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Right now I'm trying to obtain my A+ certification. I took a couple of classes in highschool and I'm pretty proficient. But then again, all geeks think they're proficient :D Anywho, I don't know whether I should fork up $3k along with two nights a week for 2-3 months for classes or just study with books and study guides on here and other places. What are your guys' thoughts?

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Books always.
    witty comment
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree. $3K vs. books is an easy choice. That leaves plenty of money for a good set of practice exams, a CBT, a computer, another computer, and a dell computer, which you can use for 'practice'.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree. That's a LOT of $$$ for an A+. On the other hand, some certification training is worth that kind of money. But not A+.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Webmaster wrote:
    .....and a dell computer, which you can use for 'practice'.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • yamahafireflyyamahafirefly Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just e-mailed my professor and he told me books as well. I have a comp to practice on, but do any of you know a good updated book to study from? I've read Mike Meyer's Network + and didn't think it was too bad. I might just invest on some CBT Nuggets instead. Thanks for all of your input!
  • iloco808iloco808 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    get a good book, practice on some dummy machines... and you'll be good to go.

fork over $3k?..no way.. save the money for future certifications
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I took the class before...you will do just as well, if not better, with books and a computer to look at...Good Luck!
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Save your money!! Invest in practice tests and books instead.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some decent books and a used computer or two for study would be much cheaper and for many would work better.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    For A+, good books should be plenty. Now for CCNA, I could see a class. Even classes for MCSA/E sounds reasonable (though costly).

NH tried to get me to take one of their classes for Sec+. Considering the cost, I said 'I don't think so'. Even with 2 books, practice exam and 2 test attempts, still was cheaper than the class alone.
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    Id go the book/cbt route mate, when I start studying a cert I normally view CBT nuggets first then start reading book.
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use Mike Meyers All in one - its updated for the 2003 tests- I used that and Trancsenders w/ my experience and passed both first try.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Classes are a waste of money... Go with the books (at this level)
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I looked into classes when I first started studying for my MCSE at the local CC. It was so expensive! Like $1200 a class or a combo of classes, something crazy.

As others stated, for A+ a good book, practice exams, and some practice comps would be ideal and enough to get you over the hump.

Good luck!