A+ Comptia CertMaster

MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know there have been a few posts about this program but wanted to see if anyone that has taken and passed the test would credit the CertMaster. I purchased the bundle pack with exam voucher, retake voucher, and the CertMaster. So far I am finding it great. Thanks all.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you read through the forum, over the years, you will see folks have experience with the material they test on. Meyers book, Sybex, Cram books, and some of the newer authors are the texts people use to assist their studies. Most, use a few sources, regardless of the exam they are taking. So, only one source to be the 'absolute' authority is not a wise approach, but it depends on ones level of knowledge in the area they are testing, it might be plenty. I'd recommend at a minimum you have a copy of the current objectives and check off the topics you 'know' and focus on the topics that seem more difficult.

But no, I've not read any one person stating that the brand you mention above is the solution to success.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

It's a CompTIA product. I have seen the coursework. It is definitely solid, no more or less solid than the other resources out there.

If you are using the CertMaster course, hedge and do the multiple resource approach. That seems to be the only consistent 'how to' advice anyone can give on the A+

-scott
  • MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys. I have been using a bunch of different study materials but found the CertMaster to be the best for memorizing the material. I was just curious. Thanks!
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your goal should be to understand the material, not memorize the material.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am understanding the concepts, I mean memorizing things like how many Gb and Mb are on certain memory types and how many pins are on certain connectors. I'm not sure there is anything to understand as far as that goes.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Agree with nachodba,

No one said to 'memorize' your goal is understanding. The purpose for using multiple sources is for a better understanding. Ones experience alone will be limiting, but adding that knowledge with the knowledge of industry 'experts' from their texts and such helps develop a more well-rounded understanding.

Grant it, vocabulary and some processes simply need to be 'memorized' as far as the order or to help develop a basic understanding, but blanket memorization to the point you cannot teach it to someone new to IT, is not the goal. Understand what you know and know why you know it...that will be most beneficial for long-term.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    I don't agree with you Plantwiz. I understand your sentiment, but to expect anyone who JUST got an entry level certification to have enough knowledge to TEACH that information is really overstating how much you learn from the A+.

I have the A+ - I also have several more 'advanced' (if you can call it that) certs as I have gone through my career. The A+ by FAR had the most amount of facts that required memorization. It hasn't even been close. And nearly ALL of the memorization stuff I have never even had to use. And at least from my experience, I have never even had to respond the questions in interviews relating to the memorization stuff because most of them don't know that stuff either hah

You are dead on with your assessment of multiple resource approach. Because the stuff in the A+ that you SHOULD know, the important stuff, having multiple approaches is the way to go.

-scott
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nachodba wrote: »
    Your goal should be to understand the material, not memorize the material.

This and what Plantwiz said about using multiple resources are IMHO the single most valuable tips shared in this thread. I too am currently studying for the A+ exam (using Gibson's A+ Training kit and Professor Messer's videos), and im more concerned with actually understanding the material more-so just memorizing it so I can pass a test. Memorizing the material means nothing if you dont have the sufficient know-how to put it to use when the time comes.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security