Passed ICND1 today.

ByronicbluezByronicbluez Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
Previous Cisco experience: None. I know the gist of routers, but I'm more a security guy than an IT guy.

Study method: Two week bootcamp and lots of packet tracer labs.

Going back for part 2 next Monday.

Tips:

NFLB everything. Sometimes a given ip doesn't fit into a range. Sometime the subnet mask is wrong.
Know OSPF. Know how to trouble shoot.
Know the correct show commands. My show run was disabled on one of them which really put me in panic mode for a good 4 minutes.
On sims if you are unsure of the command the ? feature isn't disabled.

Anything else feel free to ask.

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Congrats mate.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats good luck on second part!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • deanofpledgesdeanofpledges Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats that is awesome
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Previous Cisco experience: None. I know the gist of routers, but I'm more a security guy than an IT guy.

Study method: Two week bootcamp and lots of packet tracer labs.

Going back for part 2 next Monday.

Tips:

NFLB everything. Sometimes a given ip doesn't fit into a range. Sometime the subnet mask is wrong.
    Know OSPF. Know how to trouble shoot.
    Know the correct show commands. My show run was disabled on one of them which really put me in panic mode for a good 4 minutes.
    On sims if you are unsure of the command the ? feature isn't disabled.

Anything else feel free to ask.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "NFLB everything" mean?.....just never heard that before.
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Forgive my ignorance, but what does "NFLB everything" mean?.....just never heard that before.

Ditto, please clue me in....
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • ZaaxZaax Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□

This.

/7char
  • ByronicbluezByronicbluez Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm it is a method of subnetting. I guess it isn't a common way for subnetting, but it is an easy way for dumb soldiers like me to subnet.

Network
    First
    Last
    Broadcast
    X(for next network)

I understand the whole 0's on and off thing but that confuses the heck out of me. Start with a common number line. Hint: the increment and subnet mask add up to 256.

Subnet mask:.....128.....192.....224.....240.....248.....252.....254.....255
    Increment:.........128......64.......32.......16........8........4....... 2........1

Start with the 8,16, or 24 addresses. So if you have a /28 you count from 24, 25=128,26=192, 27 = 224, 128=240. That gives you the subnet mask of 255.255.255.240 with an incrementation of 16.

Given a address of 192.168.5.17 /28

You know you are working in increments of 16. Count 0, 16, 32, etc. 17 is between 16 and 32. So you know the network address is .16

Next network address is .32
    Subtract one from the next network address to get .31 as the broadcast.
    Subtract one from the broadcast to get .30 as the last assignable ip.
    Add one to the network address to get .17 as the first assignable ip.

N 192.168.5.16
    F 192.168.5.17
    L 192.168.5.30
    B 192.168.5.31
    X 192.168.5.32

This the method that people in my field use to subnet. It seems hard but honestly, I forget how to subnet every few months, but when I look at the number line it comes back to me in 1 minute everytime.
  • spacenoxxspacenoxx Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your preparation?

I am planning to give it a go the coming saturday. I have only read the Official Cert guide.

Any suggestions?
  • tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz!!! Good luck with ICND2
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • jofas88jofas88 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm it is a method of subnetting. I guess it isn't a common way for subnetting, but it is an easy way for dumb soldiers like me to subnet.

Network
    First
    Last
    Broadcast
    X(for next network)

Congrats on the pass! This is awesome, thanks!
  • CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It makes sense now, just never saw that abbreviation, before... I prefer the "magic number" method for subnetting, it's one of the methods presented in the Official Guide, and it makes the most sense in my brain...thanks for the clarification!
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog