Options

Advice on CISSP Study Material

k3rberosk3rberos Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Quick background of myself... 3 1/2 years in Info Sec. mostly focused on access control, operations security and a little bit of RM and physical security -- B.S. in IT -- Security+, MCSA, CEH

I'm currently studying for the CISSP, I've been at it for about two weeks only.

Here are the materials I'm using currently to prep myself for the exam.
  • Official (ISC)2 Guide to CISSP CBK - Steven Hernandez (3rd edition)
  • ALL IN ONE CISSP P - Shon Harris (6th edition)
  • CBT Nuggets
  • Considering Transcender CISSP Practice exams (I've heard good things about it from people on here)
Any other suggestions to other type of material that I could use?

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Conrad and 11th hour are highly recommended. There is also the sunflower PDF and the combined notes which were posted here a few months ago. Read through the previous posts in this board to see what has worked for others.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    My advice, use Son Harris and know it well. You will pass.

Sunflower, CISSP Notes etc are great but I feel did not help at all on the test. The stuff I knew was from learning and understanding the Harris book.
  • Options
    PabloEscobarPabloEscobar Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @5502george I have the latest Shon Harris CISSP guide. Did you just got through and read domain by domain or was there a more precise method to absorb the content?
  • Options
    Me86Me86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I just came across your post. I also started studying for the CISSP 2 weeks ago and I set myself a goal to pass it end of February 2015 but I am afraid 4,5 months won't be enough@.
    When are you taking the exam ?
  • Options
    anustup.paul@gmail.comanustup.paul@gmail.com Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear ajs1976,

Can you please share the link to the earlier post which contains the sunflower PDF and the combined notes?
  • Options
    k3rberosk3rberos Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Me86 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just came across your post. I also started studying for the CISSP 2 weeks ago and I set myself a goal to pass it end of February 2015 but I am afraid 4,5 months won't be enough@.
    When are you taking the exam ?

Hey, I plan on taking it March 2015. Depending on how often you study, I think 4 or 5 months for you should be enough for you to pass.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    k3rberos wrote: »
    Hey, I plan on taking it March 2015. Depending on how often you study, I think 4 or 5 months for you should be enough for you to pass.

I think that is overkill I took 4 days off work and studied for 8 hours a day. Took it and passed first time. This is not a hands on exam like Cisco or VMWare.

I think Conrad's books are the best. Harris's book was to big for my ADHD mind to absorb.

What really worked for me was to take practice exams after Conrad's books and research the areas I got wrong. I used SAN's articles to shore up my holes and took the exam Monday AM.
  • Options
    Eric_ggEric_gg Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should also check out the free practice test questions at cccure - https://www.cccure.org/, and at skillset - https://www.skillset.com/certifications/cissp