Options

WGU BSIT-Sec to MSISA transition info

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm nearing completion of my Bachelor's of Science IT Security degree from WGU. My current term is Nov 1st 2014 - April 30th 2015. I expect to be complete around December 12th.

I spoke to the enrollment counselor for the MSISA program. I told him I'd like to transition as quickly and smoothly as possible to keep up my momentum. He gave me two options:

Scenario 1: If I finish the courses for my Bachelor's degree with 90 days left in the term, I can add two classes from the Master's program, the Bachelor's degree would be dated when I complete the two extra classes.

Scenario 2: I finish my current courses, my Bachelor's degree will be dated when I complete. I have to wait until May 1st, 2015 to start on the Master's program.

Both of these aren't very appealing to me, I was hoping to have my Bachelor's Degree dated 2014 and my Master's 2015. I'm concerned that having both dated the same year wouldn't look very good. I'll probably end up finishing my Bachelor's and waiting until May to start the Master's and finish a few certs in the meantime.

I posted this for two reasons:

1. I thought it may be helpful to others
2. Does anybody have any other ideas or opinions on how to handle this?

Thanks

Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same in situation, I just got my first class: Emerging Technologies.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    maakshifmaakshif Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow I'm glad you posted this. I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. My current term ends Feb 28th though. One of the Tech Writing/Capstone course mentors told me about the "Pull Ahead Program" you mentioned in scenario 1, but he told me you could add as many of the Master's classes as you could complete in the time you have remaining in your term and then you would start your official Master's term(s) the very next month. I'll ask my student mentor about this on our next call to see if she gives me another response or something more in line with what you posted or what the Capstone mentor told me and post back.

I also wasn't aware that if you finished your Bachelor's early you had to wait until the original term end date to begin the Master's. That really puts a damper on the plans I have, which are right in line with what you were wanting to do, start as soon as possible.

Looks like if I decide to do the MSISA from WGU, I'm going to have to really step things up if I don't want to wait too long to start the program after finishing my Bachelors.
  • Options
    Every thing I have heard is you can take 2 master's classes.
  • Options
    Disgruntled3lfDisgruntled3lf Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe you can have him open the classes to you. Then you can work on them until May and just turn in all the stuff in the first week or two.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I wasn't aware of the wait either. When I spoke to my mentor (I have only the Capstone and Principals of Mgnt left, which capstone is done and my term started today) she said that the school would pro-rate me this term minus the 8 CU, and when I am complete then we would discuss the MS program. Maybe I should have her discuss now :) but she may be trying to get me to focus on the end and not worry about later. Hmmm I am interested on the school official policy especially for those of us who rely on Financial Aid I wonder how waiting affects us if we are less than full time now.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is my email conversation with the transition enrollment counselor:

Hi STUDENT,

To enroll in scenario 2, we would have you complete your current program. Once completed and you have applied for graduation, we can begin the continual graduate process, starting with the application below, to work towards your next available start date for the master’s program. We will be able to complete several steps but then will need to wait till your current term ends.

https://www.wgu.edu/wgu/returning_graduate_inquiry

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR

Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:44 AM
    To: ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR
    Subject: Re: Master's Transition

What do I need to do to enroll in scenario 2?

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM, ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR wrote:

Hi STUDENT,

The two scenarios you listed below are correct.

Scenario 1: If I finish the courses for my Bachelor's degree with 90 days left in the term, I can add two classes from the Master's program, the Bachelor's degree would be dated when I complete the two extra classes.

Would I be able to add more than two classes from the Master's program to this term? Two courses is the maximum a student can add to the bachelor’s term.

Scenario 2: I finish my current courses, my Bachelor's degree will be dated when I complete. I wait until May 1st, 2015 to start on the Master's program

If I do this, will I remain a student at WGU in the mean time and have access to the course details so I could work ahead? The Master’s program is considered a separate program and you would have access to your resources and course details when your first term begins on May 1st.

The CEH and CHFI are the only two certifications that can come in for transfer credit into this program. No other courses are eligible for transfer credit. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR

Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 4:08 PM
    To: ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR
    Subject: Master's Transition

ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR,

I have a couple more questions regarding the conversation we had yesterday.

My current term is November 1st, 2014 to April 30th, 2015. My estimated graduation date is December 12th, 2014. You described two scenarios for transitioning into the MSISA program, are these correct?

Can I add more classes if I complete the first two?

Scenario 2: I finish my current courses, my Bachelor's degree will be dated when I complete. I wait until May 1st, 2015 to start on the Master's program.

Would I still be a WGU student during this time? Would I have access to the class information for the MSISA program?

Also, are there any certifications besides CEH and CHFI that count as transfer credit?

Regards,

STUDENT
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    My mentor took care of pretty much everything for me, I did have to call the enrollment counselor a couple of times because they were dragging their feet. The new class was opened up and I was assigned a mentor from the master's program. I would just tell my current mentor that I want to start the Master's courses as soon as my last class for the BS is completed. Only thing is, you will not get your BS until you have stopped taking the master's classes for the term.