VIRL personal edition now available

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just received the email this morning. Personal edition is available for $199.99 and is looking promising.

Get VIRL | VIRL

Looks like node limitation is up to 15, but you'll need some good hardware specs for the VM. Anyone that has played with this let me know. I'm curious to see what limitations this might present in the command line and in the system itself
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks interesting. $79.99 annual subscription for students is very nice.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I haven't used ViRL yet (I'll probably give in and order it today), but I did a 45 minute or so CML demo via one of our partner reps, and was very impressed. Of course, I'd prefer it was free, but it's well worth the cost vs the physical hardware to practice. :)
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone have a review of it before I buy :)
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    Anyone have a review of it before I buy :)

Agreed. Give me the deetz!
    I'd prefer it was free, but it's well worth the cost vs the physical hardware to practice.

We shall see
    $79.99 annual subscription for students is very nice.

Thankfully, I am currently a student :D. However, I just noticed that they have a $50 off coupon for the product, but it's for the normal edition only. The discount does not work on the student edition (Which doesn't surprise me as $20 for the new product isn't much :))
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Use code virl50 to get $50 off the personal edition. I bit and will play with it on my desktop (since my laptop might get slammed). It's Ubuntu with Maestro (the VIRL GUI). Hopefully, it doesn't take a performance hit in a Windows VM (since I do not use Linux).
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Does it include full L2 support? Is there a list of supported/unsupported features?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd be interested to play with the GUI if it's like the "real" lab - but otherwise I'm not too bothered - got all the labbing tools I need.
    Based on what I saw in my demo, and an informed opinion from a friend, i'd guess that the CML/ViRL interface is nothing like the real lab.

Real lab uses putty, etc. CML/ViRL has it's own built in "console" and ssh clients, etc.

It's certainly useful for people who want to practice configurations though and don't have access to labs.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow i got no such emails! lol dang I am glad I had the urge to browse techexams as its been months since I posted here lol

$149 is not bad , I wonder if this is good enough for CCIE Data Center studies?

UPDATE: I just bought it. However, looks like we have to wait 1 business day for the image download link. This is what was stated on my invoice email. No biggie, we waited this long :)

"While we migrate to our final software delivery infrastructure, there will be a one business day turnaround for Cisco to email you the image download directions. This email will be sent to the email address registered to your Cisco.com account. We thank you for your patience!"
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't think the $150 price isn't bad. I think as they mature the product and code and add ASAv, IOSv Switch, etc, the product will definitely become great, and it can inter operate with real gear, other virtualized software, etc.

Its too bad M$ stopped Technet. This is pretty much the Cisco equivalent.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Do some research before you pay for this, there are alternatives, especially for the R&S folks.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @RouteMyPacket Do you think GNS3 is better?
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    broli720 wrote: »
    @RouteMyPacket Do you think GNS3 is better?

No, but you can run these images (XRv, CSR1000v, ASAv, etc) by themselves. VIRL seems convenient, and the GUI could be useful, but most of the functionality can be achieved already.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Dynamips has it's place, i'm simply saying there are alternatives out there.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At the end of the day, the focus is going to be on the command line and testing the topologies and technologies, not the fancy GUI...
    I'll stick with my CSR's :)
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All,

The supported visualization products on the Cisco page are all non-open source and cost money (along with the cost of VIRL). Are there any great VMs out there that can be used to run VIRL (Ubuntu + Maestro)?

VMware Player Pro is on sale for 30% off right now, but is still $104.99.....
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I've started using unetlab (Unified Networking Lab) which will run vSRX, vASA, XRv, IOL/IOU. Seems pretty powerful and easy to use so far.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I've just gotten XRv and CSR1Kv working in the last 30 minutes but now I've maxxed out the RAM in my desktop so I can't get a vSRX running at the same time :P

FYI:
    RP/0/0/CPU0:ios#show vers
    Tue Dec  2 09:17:05.086 UTC

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United 
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and 
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party 
    authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption. Importers, 
    exporters, distributors and users are responsible for compliance with 
    U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you agree to comply 
    with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with 
    U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately. 

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be 
    found at:
    http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to 
    export@cisco.com.

Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 5.1.1[Default]
    Copyright (c) 2014 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

ROM: GRUB, Version 1.99(0), DEV RELEASE

ios uptime is 3 minutes
    System image file is "bootflash:disk0/xrvr-os-mbi-5.1.1/mbixrvr-rp.vm"

cisco IOS XRv Series (Pentium II Stepping 3) processor with 3145335K bytes of memory.
    Pentium II Stepping 3 processor at 3429MHz, Revision 2.174
    IOS XRv Chassis
    96050k bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    866M bytes of hard disk.
    1866736k bytes of disk0: (Sector size 512 bytes).

Configuration register on node 0/0/CPU0 is 0x2102
    Boot device on node 0/0/CPU0 is disk0:
    Package active on node 0/0/CPU0:
    iosxr-infra, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-infra-5.1.1
        Built on Mon Feb  3 17:35:08 UTC 2014
        By iox-bld5 in /auto/srcarchive9/production/5.1.1/all/workspace for pie

iosxr-fwding, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-fwding-5.1.1

iosxr-routing, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-routing-5.1.1

iosxr-ce, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-ce-5.1.1

xrvr-os-mbi, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif[/IMG]rvr-os-mbi-5.1.1
        Built on Mon Feb  3 17:36:27 UTC 2014

xrvr-base, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif[/IMG]rvr-base-5.1.1

xrvr-fwding, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif[/IMG]rvr-fwding-5.1.1

xrvr-mgbl-x, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif[/IMG]rvr-mgbl-x-5.1.1
        Built on Mon Feb  3 17:35:17 UTC 2014

iosxr-mpls, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-mpls-5.1.1

iosxr-mgbl, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-mgbl-5.1.1

iosxr-mcast, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-mcast-5.1.1

xrvr-mcast-supp, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif[/IMG]rvr-mcast-supp-5.1.1

iosxr-bng, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-bng-5.1.1
        Built on Mon Feb  3 17:35:05 UTC 2014
     --More-- RP/0/0/CPU0:Dec  2 09:17:50.243 : ike[226]: %SECURITY-IMP-4-MSG_WARN : (ike_imp_chan_open) /dev/ipsec/imp Successful 

xrvr-bng-supp, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif[/IMG]rvr-bng-supp-5.1.1
        Built on Mon Feb  3 17:35:05 UTC 2014

iosxr-security, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0:iosxr-security-5.1.1
        Built on Mon Feb  3 17:35:00 UTC 2014

xrvr-fullk9-x, V 5.1.1[Default], Cisco Systems, at disk0[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif[/IMG]rvr-fullk9-x-5.1.1
        Built on Mon Feb  3 17:36:33 UTC 2014

RP/0/0/CPU0:ios#RP/0/0/CPU0:Dec  2 09:17:50.843 : ike[226]: %SECURITY-IKE-4-WARNING : You may want to configure a hostname 
    RP/0/0/CPU0:Dec  2 09:17:50.893 : ike[226]: %SECURITY-IKE-4-WARNING : You may want to configure a domain-name 

RP/0/0/CPU0:ios#

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am using it for NX-OS practice. I also have the UCS Emulator, both which will help towards CCIE Data Center.

GNS is better for ASA virtualization. As for routing, I am assuming both are equals? Let me know when NX-OS is on GNS3, but im not waiting on my studies for that lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been using GNS3 for routing but its always been a nightmare and extremely buggy to connect it to actual live physical switches. Will VIRL allow me merge the virtual routing environment with my physical switches?
    CML can, so ViRL can technically, I'm not sure if they have that enabled.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i use a combo of different things. gns3, iou-w, vmware workstation integrations and have started to look at unenet . i'll pass on virl as i'm not hearing great reviews on it
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    atorven wrote: »
    Does it include full L2 support? Is there a list of supported/unsupported features?

"NX-OSv provides partial layer-3 control-plane and data-plane functionality. Layer-2 functionality is not supported.

Was going to pull the trigger because of NX-OS but not until I read L2 is not supported.

No thank you, I'll stick with what I've got. There are other methods available for those that are on a budget.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    joelsfood wrote: »

Actually last I saw on twitter, OTV actually is not supported in VIRL. I think it was typo on the website.
    Just checked the link and it was updated to say OTV is not supported.

I grabbed a copy on Cyber Monday, hoping to get it loaded up this week. I used GNS3 for a long time and messed around with CSR1000v so I am curious to see how VIRL lines up.

Problem is my UCS and Nexus lab devices are such a mess config wise I need to get it going again haha.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WiseWun wrote: »
    "NX-OSv provides partial layer-3 control-plane and data-plane functionality. Layer-2 functionality is not supported.

Was going to pull the trigger because of NX-OS but not until I read L2 is not supported.

No thank you, I'll stick with what I've got. There are other methods available for those that are on a budget.
    Well that kind of killed it for me. I wanted VIRL for the NX-OS features. Why would they not support L2? If I remember correctly, when they first announced VIRL for testing, NX-OS wasn't even working properly. All I want is an NX-OS lab. Looks like I'll be renting the racks for those labs. Bummer.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I believe the NX-OS Feature set within VIRL is pretty much a port over from 'Titanium' which was a very limited NX-OS emulator.

A downer indeed... I also wished they included ASA or maybe WLCs.. both platforms are already virtualized.

vWLC, and vASA. Not to be confused with the ASA1000v, but this is a 1.0 release.. So I guess I shouldn't expect too much.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS