Options

Net+ comparable to MTA: Networking

cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is the Net+ exam by CompTIA comparable to the MTA: Networking exam? The reason i ask is because i can fly through practice exams for the MTA exam with no problems and i would just like to gauge the similarities between the two so i can gauge how prepared i am to potentially take both this month.

PS: I'm not saying im not studying for the Net+ as well, i figured i could just knock them both out to pad my resume a little bit while im in school. I'm venturing to guess there is a bit more sub-netting on the Net+
HAVE: A+
Working on: N+, CCENT
Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its been a log time since I have taken the Net+, but it is harder then MTA Networking. Not saying that Net+ is hard, but that the MTA exam was very easy.

Take the MTA and if you score high on it, study for another week or two and the take the Net+.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    OK scheduling the MTA on payday :)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    jd386jd386 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's worth noting though, that having both on your resume is probably unnecessary. From what I have heard, the MTA is basically a lesser-known and less difficult alternative to Network+. Once you have the N+, the MTA would become redundant IMO.

On the other hand, if you view the MTA as a training exercise for the N+, it might be worth a shot. It naturally has more of a Microsoft bent to it, but from what I have seen the material is similar.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you do not have any other Microsoft exams, I believe the MTA exam will give you MCP status
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    If you do not have any other Microsoft exams, I believe the MTA exam will give you MCP status

That is 100 percent accurate. That is why I personally got my first MTA

The MTA Networking is no where CLOSE to the Net + -- if anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. I mean, the MTA has 30 questions and they are all fairly easy multiple choices. I studied for 3 hours to take this test, passed with a 92 and have 0 networking experience.

The true benefit to this is becoming an MCP for the easiest and cheapest manner possible.

That isn't to say I didn't learn anything from the exam, but I studied for the Net + afterwards and realized that, aside from me having NO interest in networking (which is why I stopped studying the Net +) that the Net + would be way more difficult than the MTA

-scott
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    According to https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mta-certification.aspx "Note MTA exams do not qualify for MCP certification, nor are they a prerequisite for MCSA or MCSD certification."

I don't see a reason to spend the money on it, if it was MCP it would look good on an entry level resume.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I took both and passed both. I originally took the MTA Networking to get a feel for what I would emerge myself into when I would later study for the Network+. It does help, but I would not compare the difficulties of the two. There is no doubt in my mind that the Network+ is a lot more difficult than the MTA. I'm not saying it is difficult overall, but when you compare the two exams, there is a clear distinction. The MTA has like 30-35 questions, and the Network+ has over 70+ (I believe I had something like ~80 questions).
  • Options
    Ok thanks for the info guys! :)
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Network+ is a higher cert than the MTA.

If you get the Network+, don't worry about getting the MTA as you'll only be wasting your money.