Core passed!

jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Sup everyone. Today i passed the hardware part of A+. But i have some things to tell/share with you.

1.- the test had 100 questions
2.- Exam Cram 2 Second edition did not help me a lot for the 301 exam
3.- There were many questions related to memory
4.- No IRQ,DMA, South bridge or north bridge questions.

I passed with a good score but im really sad, the stuff that i used was not enought.

Any comments will me apreciated

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No comments - but I did want to congratulate you on passing. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are so right about the Exam Cram 2 book. I am currently studying for my A+ and I am not liking that book at all. I loved it for the Network+ exam. I am also using Upgrading and Repairing PCs and the related book Upgrading and Repairing Windows. I am not too thrilled with the Sybex book either. I do like A+ in Depth and The Complete Guide to A+ Certification by Graves.
  • DelmirocDelmiroc Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    billg wrote:
    You are so right about the Exam Cram 2 book. I am currently studying for my A+ and I am not liking that book at all. I loved it for the Network+ exam. I am also using Upgrading and Repairing PCs and the related book Upgrading and Repairing Windows. I am not too thrilled with the Sybex book either. I do like A+ in Depth and The Complete Guide to A+ Certification by Graves.

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm also studying for the A+ and finished reading Exam Cram 2 book, and didn't like it at all, but again, For my Net+ exam, the exam cram book was great.

I'm right now using Mike Meyers passport book, and It's great, give that one a try.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations to you for passing!

Sounds like Exam Cram 2 hit a real dud with the book.

Good luck with what's next!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, ill take some time till the next part ( oS ) , but im very angry, most of my answers were based on my experience. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ME A GOOD BOOK FOR COMPTIA +OS PART. I think that spending some money on sybex will work for the second part.
  • billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend Upgrading and Repairing Windows. This book is not geared around the OS exam objectives but it covers all the areas of the exam.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm not a fan of "ExamCram" material, but keep in mind that both the "Passport" (which I do like) and "ExamCram" are geared toward reviewing material not learning it.

For more indepth details look at Meyers All=inOne as well as Sybex material for consistantly good solid information.

I also agree that material like Scott Mueller's upgrading and repairing is a great way to prepare for the hardware aspect. If you really are interested in learning a topic....always consider books in addition to mere 'certification prep' books!

BTW- Congratulations! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass! feels good doesnt it!

i used exam cram. i found the book quite good....but only as a reference point and not as my primary learning source.

ive heard the mike meyers book is quite good.

if you get bored of reading easily i would suggest cbt nuggets aswell. i find this method alot better for learning along with hands on then use books as a reference because lets face it not many people cud read a book of 1000 pages and take it all in! but everyone is different!

whats next after your a+?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im going to buy Sybex a+ for the OS preparation. I really hate Exam Cram 2 :S still angry. Any new practice tests for the os part?

Where can i get CB Nuggets, :S kinda expensive , any torrent jeje :) greets and thanks for the congrats!
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Congrats on your step to getting A+.

I got mine in Sept 05. I used the Sybex A+ complete...the PDA flashcards were REALLY useful. I read the book once, and then reviewed 10-15 questions/day for 2 weeks, and I was ready.

Cheers,
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007