Options

MCSA 2008 or 2012

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
Being that Server 2008 is now 6 years old, is it worth getting? I dont have either one, so is it best to get the MCSA 2008, then 2012? Or at this point just skip on to 2012?
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would you like to have a both? If that is the case I would say go get your MCSA: Windows Server 2008. From there it's only one more test (70-417) to upgrade to the MCSA: Windows Server 2012.

Alternatively, you can go straight for the MCSA: WS 2012 - though there is no upgrade path to other way - if you know what I mean.

As far as longevity, it would only make sense that you would get the 'most' out of your investment (be it money, time, etc.) by moving towards and completing 410, 411, and 412.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this as well, but if I am correct you will need to renew in 3 years after you get your MCSA (in whatever you decide). When it comes time to renew, I am curious to know if you already have your MCSA: 2k8, and you take the one exam to 'upgrade' to the MCSA: 2012, that may renew the previous (MCSA: 2k8. At that point Server 2008 will be almost ten years old, and you will have just completed the MCSA: 2012... Not sure if you looked at it that way, or if that's correct, but it is something to consider.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    According to Born to Learn, you don't need to re - certify MCSA.
    https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2014/07/01/certification-update-recertification-exams.aspx

Q: What certifications have a recertification requirement?

A: Only current Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) and Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) credentials have a recertification requirement. No other certifications - including, but not limited to, MTA, MCITP, and MCSA - require recertification.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on what you would like to do, time spent on Server 2008 is still time well spent as a lot of organisations are running 2008 and will do for some years yet- plus as dewey said you can then upgrade to 2012 with one exam and none of them need to re-certify after 3 years like some vendor certs. I wanted to do MCSA 2008 but lost my motivation, hoping to get bck on it soon though so happy to share ideas/materials if you like? More people will probably advise you to go straight to 2012 though so it's your call dude.
  • Options
    dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, so it appears that only MCSE and MCSD need to re-certify. Thanks for getting that info!
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I would go straight for 2012. 2008 will be around for another few years but more and more companies are moving towards 2012. You will get more out of your time and money going straight towards 2012.

If you really really want to know 2008, it is only one exam to upgrade your 2008 MCSA to 2012.