CRISC December 2014

broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
I decided to finally take the plunge and register for this. For the past couple of years I've been dealing with critical infrastructure with an emphasis on securing industrial control systems. I really felt that CRISC would compliment my experience in this sector nicely.

I don't know if I'll be updating this thread on a regular basis, but I'll drop in periodically to give updates. This exam sure was pricey! It was $668 for the exam fee and 2014 question, answer, and explanation booklet. I already had the 2012 review manual so I'll stick with that. I highly doubt that there have been significant updates to the material since then (can someone confirm?).

I am 99% sure that this will be my last certification. I hate to say, it but at age 25 I'm already burned out from all the studying and school. I don't mind keeping up with he industry or the credentials I hold, but I'm done with the level of rigor it takes to prepare for something like this.

If anyone one has any words of wisdom, please don't hesitate to share.

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck, I will be taking the CISA in December and I also plan to take a break after this one for a while. As you mentioned I will keep up with the latest threats and knowledge but I need to take some time off of the intense months of study.

Keep us posted on your progress, I am also just using the Review Manual and the Q&A for the CISA. It is pricey indeed!
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will do. I'm sure it will be quite the journey for the both of us.
  • SkyBlueSkyBlue Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One week to go for the exam. How are you doing with your preparation?

Any suggestion?

Thanks
  • ML2000ML2000 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the December exam and wanted to share a few of my views. I have already earned the CISSP, CISA, CAP and a few other tech specific certifications. In comparison to my studies for the other certifications, and the actual exams, I found the study materials to be lacking. In fact the primary study guide provided by ISACA is in a format that I have never seen before, either during my school studies or in later studies (including vendor supplied studies) for my certs. I utilized the online question database (a little over $200) and although the questions were in the same format as used on the exams it was very different from what was presented in the "official" study guide". My impression is this is not a very mature certification and without clarity on the source study materials from ISACA other tech manual authors are unable to produce study materials presented in better format. I would be very curious to learn how many individual have passed the exam the first time through to date as I understand that when the cert was first released individuals were able to pay and provide experience proof to receive the cert without having to take the exam.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I just get to know this recently.
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I ended up not taking the exam because I got a promotion at work a few months ago, so I didn't see the ROI. I will continue to review the material and hopefully apply the knowledge at work. Good luck to all those that followed through with the exam attempt.
  • sr2000sr2000 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First, it's cool that you attempted for the CRISC exam and I’m pretty you learned from all the preparation.
    Secondly, you might still pass so I suggest you should stay positive and wait for the result, knowledge is always valuable.

Good luck.
  • coochiecoochie Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, to ML2000 ISACA had certified thousands of persons world wide to be CRISC certified without taking a test, they paid for the fee, unfortunately those CRISC professionals are the same ones writing the test for others to become certified. A complete conflict of interest.

ISACA Extends CRISC Grandfathering for Risk and Control Professionals
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    coochie, the Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) grandfathered into the CRISC had to undergo extensive vetting to determine they possessed industry expertise and experience in risk management. They awarded the CRISC cert to SMEs based on that successful vetting. Those SMEs then contributed to building the CRISC exam item pool--most likely gratis. This same practice is used by other cert vendors, such as the (ISC)2, when a new certification is being developed.

There is no conflict of interest; nobody got "something for nothing."