Security+ in 7 days

crobeinthehousecrobeinthehouse Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all! First I would like to say this is my first post ever so please excuse the n00bness. It was brought to my attention Sunday night that I have to pass the Security+ as a pre-req for the job I am being offered. It is a time sensitive matter so I only had 7 days to study. I have read through the Security+ 301 Study Guide book by Darril Gibson, which was A LOT of good info. I read it in about 3 and a half days and did well on the questions, including getting 89/100 on the Practice Exam at the end. My first question is, how close is the test exam to the actual certification exam? Also, I took notes of all the "Remember This" footnotes from Darril, should I be studying other resources as well or will this suffice? I went through a Study Guide from proprofs.com as well. Any input and resources (especially free) are appreciated.

Comments

• H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First off, Best of luck on your exam, I hope you pass it and land the position :D I'll be going for the 401 in the new year myself.

The only other resource I can suggest are the professor messer videos, they're free, but there may be some content for the 401 already which you could leave out, I'd browse over his Security+ videos, they'll only be to your benefit.

there are also a couple free practice exams on the site aswell as this page which offers more content:

http://www.techexams.net/securityplus/
  • dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you checked the resources that are available on here?
  • crobeinthehousecrobeinthehouse Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I did see the resources on here, and I am going to check the Messer videos out. I got ahold of the CompTIA Study Guide and CD with practice exams too so that will help!
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What kind of experience do you have? One of my buddies had to get Security+ in the same amount of time and did just fine going over a review book the week prior. He did have about 15 years of IT experience though.

I would focus on the concepts and topics that are less familiar to you and then review the ones you are comfortable and familiar with.

Good luck!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    I only have two years experience in a relevant field but I also have an Associates of Applied Science Degree in CIS/Networking. The only thing I really didn't understand at first is crypto but the way Darril Gibson explained it made perfect sense. Pretty much everything outside of that wasn't a new concept, just a lot of "fancy names" for everything that you have to memorize. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a huge resource somewhere else like Darril's book, and wanted to see if anyone could tell me if the material alone in that book is enough to pass. Thanks for the input
  • adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It isn't free, but the practice tests over here: CompTIA Security+ - Get Certified Get Ahead | Get Certified Get Ahead should help.

I used that, an exam ref guide, and the Professor Messer videos to pass with ease.
  • Stegib52Stegib52 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do the SY0-401 test... 301 expires at the end on Dec 2014. I passed with a 806 on the second try. First try I waisted to much time on the Scenerio's and ran out of time.
    Thanks everyone, passed this morning with a 841!
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Thanks everyone, passed this morning with a 841!

Congrats on the pass!
    Thank you kohr-ah!
  • Stegib52Stegib52 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome score... !!!! :)
    Thank you Stegib52! I was pretty certain I did well but I didn't know I did that well. I would be interested in knowing what the average score is..