What Security cert after ccna?

ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys

First I should thank you all for this informative community, I always check this forum as a guest.

Now to the point, couple of days ago I passed ICND1 :) nailed it with a pretty much high score. Maybe because I over stressed and over studied!
And this month I should finish my CCNA4 Academy class and then do the test.

I've always been leaning toward Infosec path, the demand on this role will never die!
But I'm lost at which cert I should start with, I've narrowed my choices to these two: CCNA sec and Security+

Security+ as other comptia certs is an entry level cert, but at the same time I'm now right inside the Cisco world and CCNA R&S still fresh in my mind, shouldn't I continue with CCNA sec?

I'm losticon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks in advance
Working on: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Security+
Learning: Python, C and C++

Comments

• gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    probably start with the basics, sec+ then ccna sec sounds like a good plan to me
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While it could be beneficial for you to get your CCNA: Security, and you may want to consider that down the road, I think the greatest benefit in the near term would be Security+. It will expose you to other facets of InfoSec that will likely not be covered at all by the CCNA: Security.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+ is good, now CCNA security will show you how to config the network to avoid some kind of attack, in the job market it has more weight, Security+ is only knowledge.

Personally I think CCNA security would better fist than Security+
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you all for your opinions.
    I have always wanted to do these "trio" Comptia certs, but the problem is they are really pricey.
    Security+ is 300$ while CCNA security is less than that.
    But at least with cisco I can get a discount and that is what I did with ICND1, the discount is because I'm a student with netcad.

Is there anyway I can get a discounted voucher for sec+ ? yeah it really matters for someone like me, unemployed.
  • ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    5ekurity wrote: »

thanks for link bro, cutting like 30$ is good, and ofcourse better than nothing!

thanks again
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No problem, I know it's not much but every bit helps!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Like you said, go for the CCNA:Sec while the CCNA:RS is still fresh in your mind. Do the Sec+ after that. If you plan on a career path in InfoSec you'll benefit from those two certs and more.