Remote Desktop & Firewall Question

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
say you want to remote desktop from your company office to your home, and you have windows firewall enabled on both office and home, which location office or home would you want to make sure that RDP or Remote Desktop service is enabled in the firewall? My guess is allow Remote Desktop both office and home computer on the firewalls?

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    remote desktop service is only required to be enabled on the firewall at home. And by that you mean the exception right?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, you need to enable the exception in your OS at home. Also, if you have a router/firewall, which you should, your're going to need to redirect port 3389 ( i think thats the port) to the ip of your machine.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Yes, you need to enable the exception in your OS at home. Also, if you have a router/firewall, which you should, your're going to need to redirect port 3389 ( i think thats the port) to the ip of your machine.

ah yes, and the port forwarding too, almost forgot. Remote Desktop is a TCP service, so make sure it's forwarding on TCP.

Cheers!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depending on your work place, it may not work anyway. Where I work (and I manage the firewall among other things) I do NOT allow any protocol outgoing - there has to be a rule allowing traffic OUT as well as IN. I deny by default and allow by exception. RDP is not a protocol allowed outbound on my firewall. You can try using portqry ahead of time available from MS at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=89811747-C74B-4638-A2D5-AC828BDC6983&displaylang=en

This will tell you if TCP port 3389 is allowed outbound.
    All things are possible, only believe.