Options

Average wage for an MCSA?

kovokovo Member Posts: 122
Just wondering what the average wage is for an MCSA with 1 years experience working as a Jnr Systems engineer, with exposure to pretty much everything, server rebuilds, AD, Exchange, Desktop support etc

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The salary depends a lot on additional factors besides the job and cert, such as location, age, experience, type of organization, formal education, etc.etc. The best thing to do to get an idea is look at job ads in your area that are similar to your circumstances.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Webmaster wrote:
    The salary depends a lot on additional factors besides the job and cert, such as location, age, experience, type of organization, formal education, etc.etc. The best thing to do to get an idea is look at job ads in your area that are similar to your circumstances.

Age shouldn't be a factor. Besides that, everything you said above is correct.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:

Age shouldn't be a factor. Besides that, everything you said above is correct.

Not a factor in so much that it would be discriminating, but a 20 year old fresh from school with a MSCA shouldn't typically pull in more money then a 35 year old with a degree, MSCA and 10-12 years of experience is more likely what he was getting at. The experience in working with a variety of networks and the experience of 10-12 years of dealing with co-workers and client is HUGE and college can only prepare you to handle that, the real value comes from putting time in, period.

Probably eveyone who was/is 20 thinks that. And everyone is now much older then 20 understands why all the 'old' people say that time makes a difference.....it really does.

Work ethic and attitude (a good one) will get your FAR!! So if you are young, show them what you really have!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    kovo wrote:
    Just wondering what the average wage is for an MCSA with 1 years experience...

Hmmm, what's the going rate for a slave nowadays?

j/k, it really depends on your location and the company. I'm 22 and half about 3 years of IT experience (2 years tech support, 1 year Network/Sys Admin). I live in the Poconos (relatively low cost of living) and work for a small community bank and I make about $35,000 a year.

The average salary for my county is only $32,000 so I'm not doing that bad for myself with no college degree (currently attending), although a lilittle more would help being I got a baby and all.
  • Options
    Kevin.SmithKevin.Smith Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Theres a good example since I work in DC and make 35K with <5 months under my belt. Although a did get a promotion at 3 months. I estimate with 3 years, I'll be pulling in about 60k.

ps: I am 20 years old.
    WIP: A+ Essentials
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    Well I've been at this a while (7 years) but moved up from helpdesk to desktop support to network admin, pay jumped from $30,000 on helpdesk to $37,000 in desktop support to $45,000 for network admin, which is standard for this area. Engineers normally ring up low 50's and architects can go 60's.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    One year exp.. 60k but I am far from the norm
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I live in Southern Oregon where the IT pay rate hits the ****. I make $32,500 /yr, but when I finish my MCSE my pay goes to $39,500 /yr

Yep ... keep them side jobs coming icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    True, it does depend on where you live and the cost of living, and all that. Although, age shouldn't make a bit of difference, if the total amount of experience is about one year. I've read in some places that you can make $15 per hour with an MCSA. Around where I live, in Northern California, that rate can go as high as $35 per hour, in some companies.

It really depends on what you bring to the table, and what otherexperience you have. Around here, for example, everyone and their brother knows Windows. Some are quite proficient at it, but there are lots and lots of MCSE's. If you have something else to offer, like CCNA or a Linux certification, you have an edge over a lot of other people out there. For an idea of what you're looking at, check out http://www.dice.com and type in the area or area code you want to search in. My recommendation is put in "MCSA", then try things like "MCSE", "CCNA", "Linux", that sort of thing, and you'll see what I mean.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.