which troubleshoot exam to take ?

macattackermacattacker Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have completed CCNP routing and switch exams. Now I just need to take the troubleshoot in order to complete my CCNP.
I was wondering how much more difficult would it be for to take the new troubleshoot exam 300-135 instead of the older one which expires at end of Jan. 2015 ?

I mean would I be at a big disadvantage having not taken the new versions of CCNP routing and switching ?

Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

As someone who recently took the old exam, take the current 642- one. It's still valid for six or seven weeks and it cover everything you have learnt on the R&S side.

Goto Cisco's website, grab the topology and take the practise questions. Also review Kevin Wallace's videos on Youtube about the TSHOOT exam (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bo4Pw82G2M&list=PLwzCmvmL1h6EIrAk2ifoUUOy8xflJ3yNK)

So long as you understand your layer 2 and 3 stuff and can read and understand the output of various show commands you'll be fine. :)

Hope this helps.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    I'm soon to take my TShoot aswell. If you have studied well for your previous exams shouldn't take too long to brush up on your Route or Switch skills (depending on what you took first).

Like me you have a good month until thr exam changes. So you should have plenty of time to complete it.

Good luck
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm booking mine for the end of January. It will give me a good 7 weeks to prepare with Christmas and New Years mixed in. If I pass great if not I will be forced to take the new version. Even though everyone is saying its easy, I don't want to underestimate it. If you pick the first answer wrong, then question 2 and 3 are automatically wrong. There is enough info around the web to give you a lot of insight on the old exam and so far nothing on the new one. If they change the topology then your looking and an additional few weeks to learn it.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't spend too much time studying for it. If you know your stuff from ROUTE and SWITCH, you will nail this one.

Very ridiculous exam
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I plan on taking the old (642) TSHOOT and the new (300) ROUTE and SWITCH exams. The topology for the 642 exam is on Cisco.com. Who knows what topology they might use for the 300 exam.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    theodoxa wrote: »
    I plan on taking the old (642) TSHOOT and the new (300) ROUTE and SWITCH exams. The topology for the 642 exam is on Cisco.com. Who knows what topology they might use for the 300 exam.
    That would be a challenge for sure since T-Shoot is based off of the skills you gain by doing R/S first.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    That would be a challenge for sure since T-Shoot is based off of the skills you gain by doing R/S first.

I've already completed my SWITCH studies and am working on ROUTE now and hope to finish all 3 by the cutoff. I'm studying for the new ROUTE/SWITCH because looking over the topics, I feel like they are better than the old exams (more specificity in the exam topics, no mention of planning topics, and more interesting topics).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    If you are legit, TSHOOT is a joke.."follow the packet"
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    I don't think its so much about being "legit", I think any CCNA stands a good chance of getting the first 2 questions of the ticket correct but might struggle with the command to fix the problem. If you never studied BGP or VACL's than the answers would be foreign to you. Seems like all you need is ipconfig, Ping and show run to pass the exam. Maybe once I sit the exam I will change my opinion since I'm on the outside still looking in at it. Really not in the mood to lose $250 for not preparing at all.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    I don't think its so much about being "legit", I think any CCNA stands a good chance of getting the first 2 questions of the ticket correct but might struggle with the command to fix the problem. If you never studied BGP or VACL's than the answers would be foreign to you. Seems like all you need is ipconfig, Ping and show run to pass the exam. Maybe once I sit the exam I will change my opinion since I'm on the outside still looking in at it. Really not in the mood to lose $250 for not preparing at all.

I agree, the gap from completing NP Route and NP Switch was several months so I feel (as some others probably do) that some prep is needed as I hadn't been configuring BGP, NAT/PAT, Multi-OSPF etc for a while so I think there is a feeling there may be some cobwebs to shake off.

Nothing 2/3 weeks of solid labbing won't fix :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]