To much info?

drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
This company wants me to work for them, OK. The guy says to me bring your SS#, drivers license, and birth cert. You know the first thing he's going to want to do is COPY all of them. Sounds like to much info to me. Ive never had anyone want a birth cert too. Should I have them sign a privacy statement or what. What do you guys think?
Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android

Comments

• MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    As long as they don't want a rectal icon_eek.gif exam I wouldn't worry about it
  • drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yea, daily. :P
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Asking for birth certificate seems fishy as it may cause discrimination based on your ethnicity/race, e.g. where you were born. I would strongly advise you to call the labour dept. in your state to see what the law says in your state. You can't be blackmailed just because they give you a job :)

Good luck.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    DRPower555 wrote:
    This company wants me to work for them, OK. The guy says to me bring your SS#, drivers license, and birth cert. You know the first thing he's going to want to do is COPY all of them. Sounds like to much info to me. Ive never had anyone want a birth cert too. Should I have them sign a privacy statement or what. What do you guys think?
    This is all part of the government crackdown on undocumented workers. You have to prove to the company that you have the right to work in the U.S. in a way that can satisfy a government audit. Some companies are subjecting their current employees to this.

You are probably going to have a background check run, too.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Prior to being hired in the US, the employer will have you fill out an I-9 form to verify your "employment eligibility." This is required of both citizens and non-citizens.

You will need to present one or two forms of identification, which are typically a driver's license and a Social Security Number card. A voters registration card can be used in place of a driver license. A birth certificate can be used in place of an SSN card. A US Passport serves as a single source of verification.

You will fill out an I-9 form (see the links) and the employer will make a copy of your documents for their files. The form and document copies must be retained by the employer for at least three years, or for one year after termination of the employee.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-9.htm
    http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/eev.htm
  • drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, I can see where you guys are going with this. As a vet Im getting free credit monitoring right now because of recent, "breaches" Im sure we all have heard about. Im not worried about that, what does worry me is these people trying to market my info at a later time with out my permission.
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    I wouldnt worry about it mate, a lot of places seem to be doing same.