dragging my feet on the 70-291

zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
Hello ppl! Just got back from a long vacation after completing the 70-290 back in May. I'm currently am thinking of studying for the 70-291, but am dragging my feet on it due to the long required study time for this exam. Does anyone feel burnout after awhile of studying; especially for this exam?
I think this exam will take me at least three months of studying to get a thorough understanding of the materials. Wish me luck folks. Feels good to be back in this familar forum. :)
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    This exam does require some more intense studying than most others, but it's doable without burning yourself out. Though this goes for all Microsoft exams, it's important to install a couple of servers and clients, so you can actually use the DNS, DHCP, security, etc. options.

Welcome back and good luck!
  • zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Thanks, Johan. I got burnout after studying for the 70-290 and took a long time off. My wife didn't like the fact that she lost her "hug time" to my long hours of studying icon_redface.gif . Boy, I'm going to hear more grunts around the house when I pursue for my MCSA. I'm taking my sweet time for this test so I will not be burnout again.
    PS has anyone used the new MS Press 2006 70-291? I'm planning to use this book and the syngress one to get a thorough understanding.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, studying for certifications requires sacrifices from both the students and the people close to them. icon_wink.gif

I haven't read the 291 training kit, but a MS training kit combined with a Syngress guide for the same exam should be fairly complete. Make sure you also add a good set of practice questions to your toolkit.
  • fredefrede Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Zen,

Make sure you are really ready for this one. We are all different, but for me anyway studying for 70-291 has been brutal compared to 70-290. There is a lot of material to cover, and the books are bad. I started with Exam Cram 2 - CRAP! From there I moved to Syngress, which is much better, but very hard to follow. I moved on to MS-PRESS which is slightly better better than Syngress, but also hard to follow and REALLY drags. I then added CBT Nuggets which is not bad, but I think one still needs a good book. So in short, I would go with MS-Press and CBT if you have the money.

I have been studying for 8 weeks now. I like to do a hardcore review after I cover all the material - that's where I am at now, and after looking back at DNS, I got some things to clear up in my head. After that on to the Transcenders.

My wife is hanging in there...kind of. Worst part for me is that I have a 3yr old daughter and a 1yr old son. Nothing kills me more than when my beautiful little girl says "Daddy please stop studying now".

It's nice to be able to come to this forum for help and advice, or to just rant - cause not many people understand what we go through.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Fred
    frede wrote:
    ...........From there I moved to Syngress, which is much better, but very hard to follow. I moved on to MS-PRESS which is slightly better better than Syngress, but also hard to follow and REALLY drags.
    I thought the Syngress is better than MS-Press. I've been studying the first three chapters and have to use other books to complement these two study guides. I'm spending most of my time at a localbook store to support my meager income..hehe.

frede wrote:
    My wife is hanging in there...kind of. Worst part for me is that I have a 3yr old daughter and a 1yr old son. Nothing kills me more than when my beautiful little girl says "Daddy please stop studying now".

It's nice to be able to come to this forum for help and advice, or to just rant - cause not many people understand what we go through.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Fred

Boy, I thought I have it hard, but your situations brings me to tear man. icon_redface.gif It does motivate me to get this done so we could have more time for other things...like me getting job for one (in the process of looking)..hehe. We both are putting off having the kiddies for another two years.
    yes, this is a good place to rant and rave about things.
    Good luck studying :)
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    That's one of the reasons why I have no intention of marrying before my career is *so* far, which means I'll get lots of studying and entry-level hassles out of the way before committing to another time-consuming task.

Oh and I started the 291 with the EC2 book too...I know how you feel! allout.gif
    witty comment
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    I am with you guys on this, started the 70-291 the other day. At the moment I am using Testout CBTs along with CBT nuggets. Going to get a book next week I think and upgrade RAM on my pc so I can install more virtual pcs for a lab.
  • kovokovo Member Posts: 122
    Im sitting this exam on Tuesday. I reckon its the most topic covered out of the exams ive done so far. The few practice tests iv had have quized me on so much more than the Sybex book had info on. I just kept tryin everything i came across on my lab and pumped into internet to research stuff i wasnt too sharp on. I feel quite ok but then ill c on Tuesday, My head is spinnin with Zones and DNS etc, cant wait for it all to be over MCSE
    My having to study at this point in my life (with two children) is mostly my own doing. I got complacent with my admin postion where I was the main SMS admin, managed SAV console, was the backup Exchange 5.5 admin, built servers, managed backup and you name it. DNS was the only thing I never really got deep into, as there was one person who handled it. It WAS a great position (North American corpotate HQ with 400 users). Well, long story short, a very large company bought us. For the last 2 years I have watched my co-workers of 7 years train their replacements and get outsourced one-by-one. Many of these people became friends. I am still there, but only until they figure out how to pick me off - it's part of the game today.

I have been working with a headhunter, and there are jobs out there. I have had two offers thus far, neither what I was looking for. A third position that came up was one that I really wanted. The company queried the headhunter regarding my experience with Exchange '03 - I have experience only in Exch 5.5. A week later they had her ask me if I had any MS'03 certs - I have none. Well they did not bring me in for an interview and did not go with me. I think they saw something in my resume that they liked, thus the 2nd qeuery regarding my experience. I also think if I had an MCSA'03 in my resume they would have brought me in for an interview.

To Omni's point - I think you can get a lot done before you do the family gig, but you will never be done if you want to stay in this biz. ....sometimes I wonder if this is what I want to do when I grow up.

So take from this what you want. It is MY real life story.

I hope to sit for the 70-291 exam within a week. I will let you know what happens. Ok back to books/video for more review. (right now i would rather be poked in the eye with a stick to be honest)

Fred
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    When I was taking a CCNA class, the instructor recommended taking study breaks for 15 minutes say once an hour and do something else to get your mind off of things. That could be playing fetch with the dog, going for a walk, or playing with your kids.
    frede wrote:
    To Omni's point - I think you can get a lot done before you do the family gig, but you will never be done if you want to stay in this biz. ....sometimes I wonder if this is what I want to do when I grow up.
    Fred

I agree with frede. Definitely get things done until you settle down. I don't know how you manage with two kids, frede...how many hours you put in the study per day?
    I do get second thoughts about whether I would like to stay in IT for life. If there is any good business venture that comes my way soon, I would drop everything and commit to a new career.

Dannyman, I taking your advice, buddy. For the last few exams, I would sit for hours (usually 6-8 ) each day on end to try and meet my tight schedule. After taking each exams, I would be totally burnout and had to take several months off before proceeding for another exam. Not this time; I'm taking this exam slowly as there are tons of topics to learn.
    Well, I'm back to hitting the book. :)
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Another thought, when you get to the point of practice and memorizing, perhaps you can get your kids involved in the study, like making flash cards and having your kids quiz you on them. Assuming they can read of course.
  • mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    rockstar81 wrote:
    I am with you guys on this, started the 70-291 the other day. At the moment I am using Testout CBTs along with CBT Nuggets. Going to get a book next week I think and upgrade RAM on my pc so I can install more virtual pcs for a lab.

The TestOut stuff flat out rocks. It's pricey, but the combination of video lectures, video demonstrations, simulations, and test questions is really effective. You get the theory, you see how it's done, you get to do it yourself, and then you get questions to review your knowledge. As for virtual PC's, I have two servers and a workstation running on my work laptop providing a full range of services (For 291, focus on DNS and zone transfers, DHCP and scope options, and IPSec and security policies. Also a good time to goof with network and system monitor). Between Virtual PC and TestOut, and using the MS Press book (yawn!) to fill in one or two blank areas, I was good to go.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
    Zen:

For 9 weeks: 2 to 3 hours every night, and i have been using my vacation/personal days/floating holidays a couple days at a time. So, I have been taking 2 vacation days on a thur & fri, and locking myself in my room for thurs, fri, sat, and sunday usually 8 to 12 hours each day. My wife is not happy - nearly at her breaking point, but she knows I have to do this. This is what it takes for me to prepare, as I am no super hero admin - just your average.

I am making the appt for the test today - gonna take it Monday which will give me a couple more days with the Trancenders. I always take the Trancender than review both correct and incorrect answers one-by-one. This takes about 5-6 hours, but really pulls it all together for me.

I really hope I pass, as I leave for vacation on Aug.12th for a week. Guess I can take it twice before then if need be. I just don't want this hanging over my head while I am away.

You will all know if I pass, as you will hear a very load YEAH!!!!

Fred
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    mikey_b wrote:
    rockstar81 wrote:
    I am with you guys on this, started the 70-291 the other day. At the moment I am using Testout CBTs along with CBT Nuggets. Going to get a book next week I think and upgrade RAM on my pc so I can install more virtual pcs for a lab.

The TestOut stuff flat out rocks. It's pricey, but the combination of video lectures, video demonstrations, simulations, and test questions is really effective. You get the theory, you see how it's done, you get to do it yourself, and then you get questions to review your knowledge. As for virtual PC's, I have two servers and a workstation running on my work laptop providing a full range of services (For 291, focus on DNS and zone transfers, DHCP and scope options, and IPSec and security policies. Also a good time to goof with network and system monitor). Between Virtual PC and TestOut, and using the MS Press book (yawn!) to fill in one or two blank areas, I was good to go.

Yep I totally agree, Testout is the best. I have the entire MCSE 2003 range for them and look forward to doing them all. I find the entire format great and the knowledge seems to really stick in my noodle lol icon_lol.gif