Options

Questions about MCSE from newbie?

joe979joe979 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I’m trying to get a help desk job/IT Tech job, but have been out of the field for a few years. So I just passed Net+ and Sec+ to help my chances, and am sending out resumes. Now I want to learn more about current technology, so I’d like to study MSCE material. (Or do I start with MCSA???) The material looks very exciting. I can’t wait to learn more.

What exam should I study for first?

What book should I buy?

What three exams are the most popular? (All I have to do is pass three? Is it any three?)

Any other suggestions are well appreciated.

Happy Holidays to all!

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are multiple MCSE and MCSA certifications. You will have to obtain the MCSA first then you can do the MCSE. I would start here and see which track you want to go down.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As stated you need to decide what track...server is the most useful generally. The newest server version is 2012 r2 and there is a lot of carry over from the MCSA and MCSE...ie 5 exams gets you MCSA/MCSE in server 2012.
  • Options
    What's a good book for the server track? The one's I checked out on Amazon have both great and poor reviews. I can't decide.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mastering Server 2012R2 is a good book, not built for exam study but it gives you more knowledge. The Microsoft Virtual Academy has many great resources as well. There are some great resources by Keith Mayer at Microsoft too Early Experts Study Group - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I personally have not came across anything I would deem as great. The link below and Mastering Server 2012 seem to be the most recommended though. I started the one below and it's decent but I like the combination of CBT Nuggets and a book.

MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012:Amazon:Books
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need an MCSA before you can become an MCSE. If you want to get an MCSE in Exchange, SharePoint or Lync you can get an MCSA in Office 365 (two exams required). The MCSA in Server 2012 will also work for the aforementioned MCSE's.

If you want an MCSE in any of the other specialties, you need the MCSA in Server 2012 (three exams required). You need to take 70-410 and 70-411 for sure, but there is an "Elective" where you can choose from 70-346, some SQL Server Exam and I think another one (Hyper-V)? I only know the 70-346 because I passed that exam recently and it took some cost out of my MCSA pursuit since Microsoft was giving away exam vouchers. Check Microsoft's page for MCSA 2012 for more details...

Right now I am just going for the MCSA...originally I was planning on MCSE, but I don't have much experience outside of school and a lot of people on here have told me that an MCSE in my situation wouldn't be the best idea. The books I've used so far have been Mastering Server 2012 R2, Moskowitz's Group Policy Book, a few PowerShell books (Learn PowerShell in a month of Lunches), and a lot of PluralSight, CBTNuggets, ITFreeTraining and Microsoft Virtual Academy courses. I will start the 70-410 and 70-411 lab books and the MOAC official course books Monday to get more hands-on.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    I know it depends on your experience, but how many months of study does it take on average to pass the 70-410? I just passed the Net+ and Sec+, each taking me around 5 weeks of study prep.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you don't have any direct Windows Server experience I would estimate the 70-410 will take you anywhere from 2 - 6 months to study and pass.