Study group for Security+

anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Namaskar dosto,

I am going to be taking the Security+ exam in Jan. I did self-study for Network+ and passed successfully (a week ago). However, I feel that studying with someone or just discussing topics would help a lot in reinforcing the concepts and keep the motivation & excitement up! Unfortunately, where I live currently doesn't allow a meeting or other face-2-face coop.

So, anybody out there who wants to party up in tacking this awesome cert ? Skype, text chat etc. are definitely on the table. Just try to be a little flexible with time and have plenty of it for studying.

Cheers!
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor

Comments

• Roopa AmitRoopa Amit Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Anuragaks,

I would love to be in the study group but would not apply so soon for the exam. Jan in from tomorrow. :)

I need sufficient time ( atleast 6 months).
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @anuragaks10;

I am up for that. I am planning on taking it in January as well.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Amit!

It's absolutely fine if you don't wanna sit for the exam in January. I understand everyone's got their own commitments and deadlines and I respect that.
    However, we shouldn't let that interfere with studying for it, should we ? I believe 6 months is a good enough time-frame to prepare for this exam. But we can start now and cover as much as we humanly can.

Cheers

PS - Check your PM inbox :)
  • Roopa AmitRoopa Amit Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am game.
    Let me know how do we begin.
    @thatguy67

hey mate!

Ill toss you a PM :)

Check your inbox !
    Roopa Amit wrote: »
    Yes I am game.
    Let me know how do we begin.

hey mate,

I can't seem to be able to send you PM since you have blocked that feature or something. So I'll just post here:

Could we, perhaps, talk on skype ? So we can talk about study goals, schedules and spare times etc.

You can add me : anuragaks10

My current timezone is GMT+5:30
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just passed the exam on 12/23 so everything is pretty fresh to me. If you guys/girls have any questions, feel free to ask. I think if you use Darril Gibson's book and really brush up on networking fundamentals - you should be good to go. Also, make sure to know best practices when it comes to administration of a large enterprise setup whether traditional server-client or cloud through virtualization.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @thatguy67

hey mate!

Ill toss you a PM :)

Check your inbox !

Hey, I added you on Skype.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
    Hey justthetip,

Congrats on the pass !
    How did you find the test ? Without breaking any rules, could you tell us a bit about the simulation questions ?

Cheers!
  • JustthetipJustthetip Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The performance questions weren't bad. {REMOVED CONTENT THAT MAY VIOLATE NDA}.

They weren't harder if that is yor concern.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hey justthetip,

Congrats on the pass !
    How did you find the test ? Without breaking any rules, could you tell us a bit about the simulation questions ?

Cheers!

Please do not ask our members to violate their NDA.

There is no discussion about one's exam that is permitted. The content of the exam can be found on the objectives. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • JustthetipJustthetip Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh sorry, I dont think I really violated any terms as I didnt give any real specifics, but better safe than sorry. Thanks.
  • eNomineZerumeNomineZerum Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The biggest thing to be aware of is the granularity of the topics at hand. Overall the Sec+ is an expanded vocabulary test compared to the ICND 1&2 which are concerned with procedural knowledge of Cisco devices and accompanying Network information.

Big thing is, know the difference between all the Hashing/Encryption algorithms. Know their key lengths, stream and block types. Know not only what they are and what makes them unique but how they work together and are implemented. Know which one(s) are used in say HTTPS vs simple SCP.

Also be familiar with the practices. Things like Clean Desk Policy, DLP, MDM can all be very similar at a moments glance yet have fine details that separate them.

As the Gibson site explains, the test isn't asking you deep thorough questions but instead ensuring that you have a firm understanding of the information presented. You have 70-90 questions in 90 minutes so there is not a lot of time to second guess yourselves and try to work through problems.

Another key topic to focus on is the port numbers which the Cengage book has in the back. Don't worry with knowing ALL well-known port numbers but instead the common ones. When they say common ones think of ones used in a day to day basis. The ones used in various forms of encryption, check; the ones used in our day to day use of computers, check.

The biggest challenge here is that it is a lot of information that may be foreign while the test itself has a rather high min passing score. I wish you guys the best.

As for my study tools I used:
    1)Cengage Book - required for class and the OFFICIAL book per CompTIA. (If you use the code for test questions me and classmates found those worthless. Use the Gibson site.
    2)actually having the class in my curriculum at school
    3)Sybex Book - don't recommend, borrowed and it is too vague.
    4)CBT Nuggets - these are invaluable for any cert if you have a lot of casual time or need further explanation. If you can't fund these don't worry, they were of little help also
    5)Daril Gibson's site which has practice questions with thorough explanations.
    Thank for the informative replies guys. And apologies to plantwiz, not my intention to make someone reveal info they shouldn't.
  • snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are people still doing this group? If so, my Skype is amvujcich

I'm hoping to sit the exam in March/April depending on work.