skip security+ and go straight for cissp?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
any of you guys hear planning on going for the cissp after your security+ ?
i cant really justify paying the cash for both exams, what is your reason for doing sec+ if going for cissp? (apart from the knowledge)

Comments

• 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it would depend on where you are at from a security / experience perspective - i.e. having your full CISSP (non-associate) is going to go a lot further than your Sec+, so if you have the experience and knowledge just go for the CISSP.
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, 5 years exp as network admin/support so i guess theres an element of security in there.
    You'll likely have the minimum experience in at least two of the domains that ISC2 requires:

https://www.isc2.org/cissp-professional-experience.aspx

You can download the exam outline here also to get an idea of what you'll need to study:

https://www.isc2.org/exam-outline/default.aspx
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    Take the CISSP, then parlay that info to pass the SEC+. Those are the steps I did.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got my CISSP, but am now going to get my Sec+ for giggles and to keep myself mentally sharp. But yeah if you have the experience, I'd go CISSP. OR GISP if your work covers/reimburses for certifications. As the GISP is a CISSP exam prep course and the cert carries value and weight, but it's an expensive course.
    I don't even know that it would be worth going for the Sec+ if you already have the CISSP, in the sense of I don't think it is going to make a difference from a resume or pay perspective considering the CISSP is seen as a 'Gold' standard in the InfoSec certification world. I took the GSEC from SANS (yes, I do understand it's more expensive than the Sec+) but it holds a lot more weight and covers more ground than the Sec+, and will compliment your CISSP certification.