Just passed SY0-301 two hours ago!

spark2spark2 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
The exam is very easy! Any person can study and pass, you don't need to an IT professional! I thought it was way more difficult and spent some good time studying in depth details like attacks, SSL and physical security! {REMOVED COMMENT}.

Wish you all the best. This forum helped me lots.

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats! This cert is really a great deal because it's not difficult, is widely recognized (including by the DoD/federal government), and has high ROI.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass :D I hope to take the 401 in the new year :D
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Congratulations! Very awesome Job! I passed my N+ test last Friday and already have Darril's new 401 book and starting on it now. I hope to be testing on this within a couple of months at latest.
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    I would like to ask what you used for your studies? What books you may have used, practice exams? I plan to use Darril's new 401 book, the Cert Guide by David Prowse, Messer videos and study guide, certmaster and maybe one good practice exam. Not sure if this too much or not though.
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • DeZi xPDeZi xP Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! I just passed yesterday as well and it feels great! =P

Jamesweb wrote: »
    I would like to ask what you used for your studies? What books you may have used, practice exams? I plan to use Darril's new 401 book, the Cert Guide by David Prowse, Messer videos and study guide, certmaster and maybe one good practice exam. Not sure if this too much or not though.

Hey James Web, I just posted this in my other thread, but here is some information I wrote up that might help you. As you are taking Darrils 401 exam, I would expect there to be other topics that are covered and performance questions that you should def check out his performance question video he posted on his blog
    DeZi xP wrote: »
    1. Take Darril Gibson's practice exam. See where you are at. I got an 69% the first time but half of it was luck.
    2. Read through Darril Gibson's book from front to back and summarize it in your own words; don't just copy what you see. You can get through a chapter a day (11 total) if you put 4-6 hours into it.
    2. Do the quizzes the day after you finish a chapter and study the night before. Try to soak up the knowledge.
    3. After you finish all your notes, go through them and compress it even more. You will begin to realize where you need to review material because you will write more notes in some topics, and less in others or none at all because it's obvious stuff.
    4. Do his "Practical Exam" and time it. Give yourself 90 Minutes.
    5. Review all the questions, and see where you got the most questions wrong.
    6. Do some outside research and dive into the logistics of the protocols and topics
    7. Go over all the quizzes again and see if you score higher or get the wrong questions wrong. (It stings a lot harder the second time if you get it wrong, and I can assure you probably won't forget it again) I scored on average about 10% higher which was what I needed to feel comfortable taking the exam.
    8. Go over CBT Micro Nuggets videos on youtube on the topics you have a harder time in.
    9. Take the Practical Exam that TechExam offers. I was shocked when I got a 60% on it because there is some things that Darril didn't cover.
    10. Re-write all the protocols and ports. I had a story to each protocol and port so I can remember them easier. Also with Hashing, Asymmetric and Symmetric protocols.
    11. Know all your abbreviations. even if you think you know them all, go through the index and see what you don't know
    12. Rest easy, enjoy and have fun coming up with solutions to everyday security problems!

Going to take a little break and get right back into my next step. If anyone has suggestions, please post! I was thinking of doing my Network+, then going on to doing either MSCE or C|EH.
  • spark2spark2 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass :D I hope to take the 401 in the new year :D

Why? Haven't you done CISSP already?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    spark2 wrote: »
    The exam is very easy! Any person can study and pass, you don't need to an IT professional!

Well, that makes this a worthwhile cert to have then icon_scratch.gif Why should a pro want it if anyone off the street can take the exam and pass it?

Nevertheless, congratulations.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • psheehan5psheehan5 Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! It sure feels good to get that cert!
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! icon_cheers.gif
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats! This cert is really a great deal because it's not difficult, is widely recognized (including by the DoD/federal government), and has high ROI.

Right on the money, man! I passed it last week and I have an interview for a cloud security engineer already (as well as more replies). It opened the door for me.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    spark2 wrote: »
    Why? Haven't you done CISSP already?

Yes, I have, but I have a voucher for it, and the A+/Net+/Sec+ is considered a trinity of certs. plus it keeps my mind focused and sharp. After that I'm debating CISM/CISA or CASP, likely CISM.
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Well, that makes this a worthwhile cert to have then icon_scratch.gif Why should a pro want it if anyone off the street can take the exam and pass it?

Nevertheless, congratulations.

I am not sure I understand what you mean here but I meant that a person does not need to be an IT guru to study and pass this exam
    fuz1on wrote: »
    Congrats man! icon_cheers.gif

Right on the money, man! I passed it last week and I have an interview for a cloud security engineer already (as well as more replies). It opened the door for me.

I am glad to know that it helped you
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance