Passed GCED

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
After spending 4 days at a downtown Chicago hotel I had to get back to reality and what better way that by taking the GCED. It took me 1 hr 30 min and got an 89%. The test lines up pretty well with the class/objectives and there's a bit of everything represented.

Took the following to the exam center:
- set of 6 books (only used the 2-3 times)
- index (around 14 pages) See how I do my indexes here.
- TCPdump **** sheet
- NMAP **** sheet
- WireShark **** sheet

Know your tools. Play with them. Understand how one is different from other similar ones. If you have the books make sure you read those appendixes. Index every single tool you read about.

Make sure after you take the practice test you incorporate what you see covered there into your index. Although I didn't see any verbatim questions from the practice tests, the material was definitely there in a slightly different way.

The only reason I took this class is because work paid for thre Work Study Program and this was the only class available. Sinc eI took SEC 504 a fe wyears ago most of this stuff looked like a review. As I said before this class/cert is great if you want to get a glimpse of what the different areas of security involve. If you plan to take more SANS courses, this one may not make sense. On the other hand, if you are a desktop support, systems admin, or similar with very limited security knowledge, you will get a good idea of what's involved in a dedicated security role.

My next step is unclear. I think I'm going to focus on finishing the WGU MSISA within the next 2-3 months. On the SANS front I am debating between FOR408/GCFE and SEC503/GCIA. I also have to take LCFS by August.

Comments