Took VCP5 and failed

dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Happy New Year everyone. I took the VCP5 a few weeks ago and failed. I pretty much knew it would happen since the last 2 months at work I have been flying back and forth to our new headquarters site for a week at a time and had no study time. With the holidays and such I lost a lot of time as well. Since I used a 1/2 off coupon i couldnt move the test past 2014 so I had to take it. Overall it was easier than I thought but found myself floundering on upgrade related questions since I started on ESXi 4.1. I ended up getting a 285 out of the 300 needed. So close.....

I immediately drove home and wrote down everything I could recall that I had issues with. Now I have a good list of attack points for my next attempt. I plan to try again by month's end.

Just thought I would share.

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll get it next time, you're not far from a pass, keep it up!
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Keep at it man... I failed on the 17th with a 295/300, today I retool it and passed.

Keep your chin up, it's a bloody hard exam!
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Passed 5.0 back in the day and hit 5.5 for the fun of it - failed the mock big style lol ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're close; you'll get it next time. VCP is not exactly an easy test, I have seen some call it entry level, but I would have to disagree. When I recertified on 5.0 I barely passed.

I have to find some time to retake this test to renew my credentials before March, and despite the number of times I have taken different editions of this test (and a VCAP on top of that), I'm still going to give the study process its due respect.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you have to take course requirements?
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I have a voucher, wonder if it expired in December as well
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a voucher, wonder if it expired in December as well

I used the one from VMUG.

Also for more info I have worked with vsphere for 4 years and did take the install, config, manage course. I would have passed if I could have given myself another 3-4 weeks.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep at it and it's definitely a tougher exam that it's sometimes seen but you feel amazing when you pass it!! icon_thumright.gif

Go knock it out
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Keep at it and it's definitely a tougher exam that it's sometimes seen but you feel amazing when you pass it!! icon_thumright.gif

Go knock it out

I concur, I was speechless for an hour after taking it, the feeling of accomplishment was amazing!

Hoping for the same with CCNA in 3 months.