Linux + now a requirement at WGU

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey all,

So I see WGU has updated there courses and Linux + is on my course study, so my big question is what distro of Linux does it cover?

I use Ubuntu all the time, but does the Linux + make you learn just one of the major ones like Ubuntu, CentO/S, Mint, Red Hat, etc or all of them?

Comments

• brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Both Red Hat flavored (CentOS, Scientufic Linux) and Debian.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    Thanks will find those distros and pop them on my workstation box.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    More specifically, you'd want to experiment Linux distros with SysVinit and systemd. Most latest distros have switched to the latter.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    While it is true most distros have switched, the test currently does cover SysVinit or systemd as far as I know.
  • swattz101swattz101 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Linux+ is considered "vendor neutral". As others have mentioned, it seems to be mainly focus on Debian based (Ubuntu, Mint) and RPM based (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS).

I'm studying this right now, and I'm seeing a lot of questions about RPM and Yum. DPKG (apt-get) is in there also, but from what I've read from others who have taken the tests previously, questions seem to lean toward RPM based Linux probably because RHEL. Maybe others who have taken the test can chime in.

For Debian, I have been using Ubuntu, but have considered trying something else because of the Ubuntu Unity interface and to try something with System-V instead of upstart (as mentioned by brownwrap). I just came across Linux Mint Debian Edition, so I might try it out, but I'm not sure if it is System V or not.

As for RPM based, I started with CentOS 7, but just couldn't get into it. I loaded Fedora over the weekend, and it feels much better. There really shouldn't be that much difference between the two, so I'm not sure what it is.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Thanks for the Info, really scouting out what it will entail me to do.