70-680 exam still relevant?

Stryker395Stryker395 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I'm new to these boards so please forgive me if this question has already been answered somewhere. I'm currently taking community college classes for an associates degree with an emphasis on networking. The new semester is about to start and one of my classes requires a book to help study for the 70-680 exam. I started searching and read somewhere that it had been retired. Does this mean that I can no longer take the exam? I see no use in taking the class if it's all based on an exam that I won't even be able to take.

If that's the case then I may just change my major because I'm not sure I can graduate without taking it. I wish I had known about these boards several semesters ago. I think it would have really helped me. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Comments

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 70-680 exam has not been retired and will be around for a while yet. I think that it is still relevant as many place have just switched from XP to 7 and wont switch to Windows 8.1 anytime soon, if ever.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some businesses have just upgraded to Windows 7.

Usage share of OS's as of Dec 2014:

Windows 7 - 56%
    XP - 18%
    Windows 8/8.1 - 13%
    OSX - 7%
    Vista 2%

I don't think that it's a waste of time, since Windows 8/8.1 may never go that high. I believe most businesses will wait on Windows 10 to see if that will be the next OS to go to. Removal of the Start Menu doomed Windows 8 before it even got started. I actually like Windows 8 more the 7, but 10 will be way better.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Stryker395Stryker395 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm glad to hear that it's still worth getting. I was concerned before because I figured that by going into the IT field that I was going to have to keep up with changes in certs and things of that nature. However, I figured that would start after I graduated haha. Good to know I'm okay for now. Thanks again.
  • edgar2387edgar2387 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Exam is not retired, you can checked on the microsoft certification learning portal, if per say the exam itself scheduled to be retired on December 31st, 2015, if you take and pass it before then, even if the exam is retired, the cert is still relevant as long as the technology (windows 7) is still supported by MS
  • ArrmanasArrmanas Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greetings everyone,

I'm a noob about these Microsoft exams .... please forgive me if this question has already been answered somewhere or elsewhere.

If I pass 70-680 and 70-685 ~~ will I get MCITP certification? Or MCSA?
    Thank you for your replies.
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Arrmanas wrote: »
    Greetings everyone,

I'm a noob about these Microsoft exams .... please forgive me if this question has already been answered somewhere or elsewhere.

If I pass 70-680 and 70-685 ~~ will I get MCITP certification? Or MCSA?
    Thank you for your replies.

Exams 70-680 + 70-685 = MCSA Windows 7

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-7-certification.aspx
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    Some businesses have just upgraded to Windows 7.

Where I work we just finished migrating (most)all the computers to Windows 7. Every now an then we will get some one call in with an issue and they are still using XP, instant order of a new PC/Laptop with Windows 7.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • InfoseyeInfoseye Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the same thought about taking MCSA windows 7 if its still relevant but reading through has encouraged me to still sit MCSA windows 7.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We still have almost 10% of our PC's on XP. No plans to use Windows 8.x at any time. Next OS we use will be 10.

Windows 7 is still relevant in most places.
    My aim is MCSA WIN7 & MCSA Server 2012 then MCSE, I was thinking of going head with MCSA server 2012 then MCSE.
  • KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    Windows 7 support ends in 5 years
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

So your cert will still be relevant for a long time yet.
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
    Thanks for the update, I just confirmed I could take 70-680 & 70-686 to obtain MCITP and upgrade to MCSA Server 2012 by taking 70-417 Which I have decided to achieve this year.
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Infoseye wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, I just confirmed I could take 70-680 & 70-686 to obtain MCITP and upgrade to MCSA Server 2012 by taking 70-417 Which I have decided to achieve this year.

What happens if you want MCSE? Can you get MCSE Server 2012 if you do 70-413 + 70-414 after the above path?
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    techwizard wrote: »

You actually get both. MCITP and MCSA on your transcript, you just need to ping MS and get the MCITP added. They haven't retired it yet; contrary to information out there.

-scott
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows 7 is currently the client OS with the largest market share so as long as there is a user base, certification will still be useful.
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I'm hoping to pass the 70-680/70-685 exams this year. I think Windows 7 will become the new Windows XP in the business environment and be around for a long time.

At work, we are in the tail end of the project upgrading to Windows 7.