Grub Question

joelollyjoelolly Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm confused. I failed LX0-101 today and noticed a question about grub that has me going in circles. It asked to state the path for the grub configuration file. I assumed /boot/grub/grub.conf, but going back through my notes it could also be /boot/grub/menu.list. Would either answer suffice on the exam?

Comments

• brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I am sitting in front of a Red Hat system. It has /boot/grub/grub.conf and /boot/grub/menu.lst, which is a link to grub.conf.
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did the printout specify that you failed one or more questions in that area? How close/far were you from passing?

I'd suggest looking at the printout you recieved, and using that as a guide for the areas you need to brush up on.

Furthermore, udemy has some linux academy courses on sale for $10 a piece that cover the linux+
    [h=1]Learn To Run Linux Servers From Scratch (LPI Level 1-101)[/h][h=1]Learn To Run Linux Servers Part 2 (LPI Level 1-102)[/h]search for them from here:
    https://www.udemy.com/courses/?pmValue=1
    This is one of the many things I don't like about the tests:
    You incorrectly answered one or more questions in the following objective areas

How vague can you get? You don't know if you missed one or all of the questions in an area or even which ones. It really doesn't give you a clue as to what you should study up on.
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    This is one of the many things I don't like about the tests:

How vague can you get. You don't know if you missed one or all of the questions in an area or even which ones. It really doesn't give you a clue as to what you should study up on.

Agreed it's not the best feedback, but it's certainly better than some, that simply tell you PASS/FAIL, no scores, no areas of weakness, nothing.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    /boot/grub/menu.lst GRUB menu config

/boot/grub/grub.conf GRUB config

/etc/default/grub.cfg
    GRUB2 config | update-grub which uses /etc/grub.d and /etc/default/grub

varelg wrote: »
    The grub taste du jour is GRUB2 . menu.lst is GRUB Legacy.

That's what I was thinking too.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I'm taking an unusual amount of freedom here and totally wild guess that you used only a guide for preparation and haven't looked even a bit at man pages and/or objectives.
    Of course I may be wrong.
  • joelollyjoelolly Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking an unusual amount of freedom here and totally wild guess that you used only a guide for preparation and haven't looked even a bit at man pages and/or objectives.

I may be confused by your response. I'm away that neither menu.lst nor grub.conf have anything to do with GRUB2. However, in the objective printiout that I haven't even looked at, ever, it says 102.2 Install a boot manager. Under that theres a bullet that says the following is a partial list of the used files, terms, and utilities. Further down, theres yet another bullet (probably why I haven't even looked at the exam objectives, ever) that says...nothing concerning grub2. There's a bullet /boot/grub/menu.lst, but from the TestOut labsim GUIDE I used to prepare, I was told that was just a symbolic link to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Now, I obtained that objective printout (.pdf to be specific) from CompTIA's website, but that could be an outdated objectives guide I suppose? I appreciate the other posts here, but I fail to see how yours contributed anything?
    Yes, but it is not like the test is using the latest and greatest. I am running Red Hat 6.6 at work, We know Red Hat 7 is out, what is the test based on?
  • joelollyjoelolly Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Yes, but it is not like the test is using the latest and greatest. I am running Red Hat 6.6 at work, We know Red Hat 7 is out, what is the test based on?

I'm assuming GRUB legacy based on the objectives.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I found the problem here - you stated the question asked for the PATH to the GRUB configuration file, in which case the answer is /boot/grub/. It didn't ask for the specific configuration file name, just the folder path. So whether you are running GRUB Legacy or GRUB 2, /boot/grub/ is still the correct answer.
    I am almost sure you will learn something from all this joelolly.
    5ekurity wrote: »
    I think I found the problem here - you stated the question asked for the PATH to the GRUB configuration file, in which case the answer is /boot/grub/. It didn't ask for the specific configuration file name, just the folder path. So whether you are running GRUB Legacy or GRUB 2, /boot/grub/ is still the correct answer.

I don't think lpi questions are THAT sneaky. Questions are usually straightforward but don't hint at an answer.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think it was designed to be sneaky, it just asked for the path to where the config files are located and not the name of the file(s).
  • CagePotanCagePotan Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The configuration file for GRUB legacy is located at /boot/grub/menu.lst for SUSE. I think that Fedora uses the same location, but the file is called grub.conf.

The GRUB 2 configuration file is located at /boot/grub/grub.cfg, but some distributions place this file in /boot/grub2 to enable both GRUB Legacy and GRUB 2.

Source:

GRUB Legacy | linux-bible.com
    GRUB 2 | linux-bible.com
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol, how did you come up with this?
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    Did the printout specify that you failed one or more questions in that area? How close/far were you from passing?

I'd suggest looking at the printout you recieved, and using that as a guide for the areas you need to brush up on.

Furthermore, udemy has some linux academy courses on sale for $10 a piece that cover the linux+
    Learn To Run Linux Servers From Scratch (LPI Level 1-101)

Learn To Run Linux Servers Part 2 (LPI Level 1-102)

search for them from here:
    https://www.udemy.com/courses/?pmValue=1

Guessing that sale is over? I see both courses listed as $99 each.