Passed 301 this week on first attempt w/ 0.5% IT knowlege

keybladerkeyblader Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Whats goin on my Security+ bros....racked up a 825

First I wanted to say thanks to community for their posts and success stories. While I do have a Comp Sci. Degree from over a decade ago... I have been in local gov't with no working IT knowledge, barely knew what a logical port was. Since being let go, I was told if I could acquire a SEC+ Cert and demonstrate that I could learn the material I would be considered for a spot on a company's next contract....Long story short I devoted massive amounts of time to studying also I would ocassionally swing by here and read some of the posts which actually gave some encouragement...a little fear too but 95% encouragement.

For people completely new to the field with no exp this is how I prepared with extremely limited funds...but ample time.

-Read Gibson's-GetCertified (twice and took notes) and Networking For Dummies( just as a ref guide for terms and theories brought up in Gibsons book) Also got access to the Perf Base Q's and Mobile Sec+ app..great for practice testing while in line at Chipotle

-Downloaded Prowse's Sec+ book w/Test Engine and VidLabs DLC(read 4 times w/notes...where 75%of my studying came from)

Those were the only materials I need to study to pass.....I downloaded a Sybex book but kicked that to the curb..it was so long, and stale with deprecated concepts....Also don't sign up for any online community coll. Ed-2-Go classes..HUGE RIP...you will not learn anything value...had to **** that too.

Prowse + Gibson is a good way to go....I hope this helps.

Comments

• H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations on passing your Security+ certification, and best of luck in your transition into the new career :D
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats - I hope Sec+ will help you secure that contract.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • keybladerkeyblader Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys... Also much thanks to the community and their posts
  • anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Woot!

Well done mate! Congrats :)

I am glad to see your hard-work paying off. What's next for you ? (in terms of certs)

Has taking Security+ inspired you to go for more ?
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
  • teonmooreteonmoore Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keyblader wrote: »
    Whats goin on my Security+ bros....racked up a 825

First I wanted to say thanks to community for their posts and success stories. While I do have a Comp Sci. Degree from over a decade ago... I have been in local gov't with no working IT knowledge, barely knew what a logical port was. Since being let go, I was told if I could acquire a SEC+ Cert and demonstrate that I could learn the material I would be considered for a spot on a company's next contract....Long story short I devoted massive amounts of time to studying also I would ocassionally swing by here and read some of the posts which actually gave some encouragement...a little fear too but 95% encouragement.

For people completely new to the field with no exp this is how I prepared with extremely limited funds...but ample time.

-Read Gibson's-GetCertified (twice and took notes) and Networking For Dummies( just as a ref guide for terms and theories brought up in Gibsons book) Also got access to the Perf Base Q's and Mobile Sec+ app..great for practice testing while in line at Chipotle

-Downloaded Prowse's Sec+ book w/Test Engine and VidLabs DLC(read 4 times w/notes...where 75%of my studying came from)

Those were the only materials I need to study to pass.....I downloaded a Sybex book but kicked that to the curb..it was so long, and stale with deprecated concepts....Also don't sign up for any online community coll. Ed-2-Go classes..HUGE RIP...you will not learn anything value...had to **** that too.

Prowse + Gibson is a good way to go....I hope this helps.

Thanks definitely appreciate you coming back here to report how you passed. How long did you study prior to your test?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Np..

For the SYO-301, in total I studied for about 7 months about at an avg of 8-10 hrs/day for 6 days/week. I also took some weeks off and picked it back up 2 weeks before exam day on New Year's Eve. Although I studied that long I'm pretty sure anyone else could do it in half that time...Time was the only asset I had since I had limited funds/resources and no classes/experience in Networking so I had to use Time to my advantage b/c I could only afford the exam fee once. All that studying may have been overkill but I couldn't leave anything to chance b/c of my situation. Looking back I def could have lightened up some on the studying and not have been so paranoid, by going outside the objectives.
    The key for me was just understanding the concepts and knowing my ports. Taking an extended break is a good way to see what I understood and what I needed to go over.
    Thx, I apprectiate it.

Getting certified has definitely ignited a desire to go for more...Probably will knock out the Network + since I seemed to drift a way out of the Sec+ objectives and deep into the Network realm while preparing for 301. CASP will probably my be next full on study endeavor. That probably won't be for months now.
    For right now I'm switching to chill mode.