I could use some advice or a perspective

JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been planning to get my CCNP this year, I recently received the new books. My company however wants me to administer our DMZ within a few months from now, it could also be within weeks.

What I'm now wondering is do i put the CCNP studies on hold and go for CCNP security? There aren't even any new books out except one. I picked up the huge Cisco ASA book. I'm not sure if that would aid me or not as i haven't even started going through it yet.

My thought is just to go on with R&S and pick up security after getting some hands-on experience in this new role.

Anyway advice would be appreciated.
[h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]

Comments

• bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    How far are you into your stuides? Do you already have the CCNA:Sec? I would probably recommend the Security track as your learn what you will proabably need and also gain some great experience.

If you get the CCNA Security or CCNP Security this would atleast vaildate your CCNA R+S so your in no major rush to get your NP R+S :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have with the security track is that there aren't any material out there for it. I have seen some videos on cbtnuggets but I rather read than watch videos.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    I don't think the 300 - XXX books for the new NP security are out until April, but if they are anything like the new R&S books then they'll be delayed for a couple of months on top of that! Like you say Keith Barker has done updated videos for the new NP security exams on CBT nuggets.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    The lack of material is going to hold you back. It is always better to do it right - with the sufficient resources. If it was me, I would wait for the books to come out and do R&S first. It is not necessary to go for the full NP in security for creating a DMZ. If you read up a little, you should be able to make it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    I have decided to go for the R&S. With regards, to the dmz, am not sure what to read. I have been searching Cisco's site for some information and its kind of overkill.
  • nowlannowlan Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Configuration-Networking-Professionals-Library/dp/0071622691
    this book is old, but doesnt get hung up on certs. the NAT is the old config method.

who is managing the firewall now?
    most llikely using asdm, which is gui based.

what are you expecting to change?
    vpn, port forwards. should be rather stable.

you can get a demo of asdm tool from cisco, to play with pretend counters etc.

or were u not using ASA?
    zone based firewalls? covered in ccna-sec and old secure exam i believe.
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    "Network Security Architectures" It's a dated book, but still 100% relevant. I recommend reading that book for anyone looking to understand fundamental DMZ design concepts... there is much more that goes into a DMZ than being able to configure an ASA (If that's even the product choice). After that, I would just look at the basic documentation on whatever products do go in place.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to pick up the book and study it cover to cover.

About the ASA comment, its just a book i picked up hoping to gain some knowledge.