Passed GCWN Today

jeman022004jeman022004 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I haven't posted to this site in years, but thanks to the other posters for all of the resources as I do browse it frequently around certification time. After recently completing the SEC505 course, I passed the GCWN exam today with an 89% today. From a windows security perspective, the SEC505 course was probably the most practical IT Training course I have completed to date. I would highly recommend it if you are serious about securing windows environments. As others have stated, if you read the books, make a good index, and use the practice exams as an additional study tool, the real exam is not too difficult. This was my first SANS exam and I did like the scoring checkpoints so that you can gauge how well you are doing. Although the one drawback is that I found myself not caring as much about the last few questions as my score was already enough to pass. Thanks again for the info.
"It is always better to be pissed off than pissed on..."

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome back and congrats!
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How much Windows experience did you have before taking SEC505?
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • jeman022004jeman022004 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    docrice wrote: »
    How much Windows experience did you have before taking SEC505?

I have a lot of Windows experience, but I don't think you have to be very experienced to understand the core course concepts. As long as you have a basic understanding of AD and Group Policy processing (i.e. The course isn't the first time you configure and deploy a GPO) then it isn't too difficult. I didn't feel like there is anything that would be over your head because the instructor does an excellent job explaining things and with the labs and books all of the info is in front of you. There is a lot of relevant security information that I never received in any MS training or books. Some of the vulnerabilities are "eye opening" that I have never seen documented before. It is good to now know the real life scenarios of "why" you need to configure certain settings instead of reading about "what" you need set in security literature.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When I took SEC505 we lost 3/4 of the class during the crypto day. Best suggestion I can give everyone is to brush up on the topics presented in the course description. Know at least the basics of everything and you'll be OK.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the feedback regarding the course!
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing :D
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I would like to start doing GIAC exams as well but they're so expensive!
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I share the same sentiments - GIAC is 31337 but expensive! icon_cool.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Look into the SANS Work Study program. Less than $1000 for the course. I've already applied to one and I'm hoping to get in.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Congrats. Working on this one myself over vLive, targeting March or Feb to get the test out of the way. Fossen is probably the best or one of the best instructors in the IT community.
  • jeman022004jeman022004 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone.

I agree, Fossen is an excellent instructor. I attended the vLive course which was great. I liked how the material was covered over a six week period over the alternative of drinking from a firehouse in a week course. You also get access to the class videos for either 4 or 6 months which is great for review. My recommendation would be to make the index (tool/technology, book-page#, brief description) in between or during the classes if you have time. That way you don't have to go back and complete it from scratch like I did. Although it probably did help to reinforce the material going through the entire class again...
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Look into the SANS Work Study program. Less than $1000 for the course. I've already applied to one and I'm hoping to get in.

Cool! Thanks again.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SANS students are bound by the courseware license agreement which includes the following verbiage:

User may not copy, reproduce, distribute, display, modify or create derivative works based upon all or any portion of the courseware in any medium whether printed, electronic or otherwise, without the express written consent of the SANS Institute. Without limiting the foregoing, user may not reproduce, distribute, re-publish, display, modify, or create derivative works based upon all or any portion of the courseware for purposes of teaching any computer or electronic security courses to any third party without the express written consent of the SANS Institute.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • khiemkpkhiemkp Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • ClkuhlClkuhl Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you took your exam did you see anything from Day6 (powershell day) on the exam? I have to recertify soon and previously day 6 was not included. Just curious if that had changed.
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm 95% sure I'm going to SANS West in San Diego to take this course, can't wait.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...