Options

Access to a Nexus

dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
My job had a Nexus 5020 laying around, i then go ahead and ask if i can go ahead and play with it before they send it back.

So i finally get some live equipment, i console into it and nothing comes up WTF!!, been trying for 2 days, i console into a router comes up immediately so i know the cord is working, anyone know what the hell is the console port done for....

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Well, it should have worked.

You've got 2 options:

1-This switch's console port its not working properly
    2-Someone changed the console parameters (baud rate, and stuff like that)
  • Options
    Yea i tried all sorts of console parameters, the manager here says nothing was changed so it looks like the console port is not working, just my luck finally get some real equipment
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    did you try the network management port?
    do you know the password for the admin account?
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    did you try the network management port?
    do you know the password for the admin account?

My Netowrk admin/supervisor doesnt recall the ip address for the management port, why it isnt written down or stored i dont know, they are returning the switch soon

i have the password but there is no output to put in the password
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well he should know the network address and subnet mask. get a switch and a router to set up a network. it is a management port it should send something out even if it is just ntp or snmp. the switch should have the mac address of it's port and the router should have the ip address in it's arp table.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    dsgm wrote: »
    Yea i tried all sorts of console parameters, the manager here says nothing was changed so it looks like the console port is not working, just my luck finally get some real equipment

If the switch isn't being used, do a factory reset of the switch. Like others have said, the console port might be disabled. See if there is documentation on the switch or a config of it. The previous network administrator probably locked it down, as is best practice.