Can't Find a job. Here's why... article

rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
I saw this article on one of my weekly news emails, and thought it might be interesting to some of the members of TechExams.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001944&pageNumber=1

Take Care,
Rcoop
Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Thanks! Very good information covered.

follow-ups, interviewing skills, soft skills & business skills.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very good article! It says a very low amount of people get hired from web posted jobs..

what do you guys usually do when searching/applying for jobs?
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Nice , people should think to manage to obtain the job they like , not one for having one or money icon_rolleyes.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You mean I have to not only have certifications, experience, education. . . but now I have to develop a personality, too?!?

Aww, man. . . icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    corect !
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • pwochnick1pwochnick1 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What are people's experiences with hiring firms? Were they able to find you good leads? Are they a waste of time?
    Paul Wochnick
  • pjam76pjam76 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    on the firm.

There are various firms out there. Temp agencies, consulting agencies, recruiters, and so on.

For the most part, most of them are practically useless. Many use Indian's, which isn't a problem with me, but when they're judging my communication skills it's kind of stupid if I can't understand anything they say.

That and the fact most recruiters/agencies have no clue. They say they are from one area but it's obvious they're lying, regardless if it's an Indian or somebody who speaks perfect english.

When i lived in North NJ, about a ten minute train ride into NYC, this one recruiter went on and on about how I might have to relocate and that they don't understand how i'd be a fit for this job since I didn't live in NYC.

As I said, I told them it was a ten minute train ride into NYC. I lived right over the damn hudson river.

Some of them are useless. Once in a while you'll find some decent ones and if they want to look for you, by all means, that's great.

Thats the problem with half those internet job boards. Most are nothing more then a recruiter board, even if it says otherwise.

Don't just throw them to the curb, but don't waste too much time taking tests or meeting them either. Becaues most will never even get you an interview.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I find it strange that they are balking about you not living in NYC. Commuting is a way of life up there. Many people live in Westchester or even Conneticut.