Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 r2

King_84King_84 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Evening,
Need some advice. We have 4 domain controllers (AD role and printer server) that replicate between each other.

2x are server 2008 R2
2x server 2012 R2

The 2x 2008 R2 DC, we would like to migrate to server 2012 R2.

What is the full process of migrating to server 2012 r2?
I do not want be missing a step and cause an uproar. I have been looking at videos on the net but find some bits quite confusing.
Your replies will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• King_84King_84 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've planned the following:

1) check functional level is atleast 2003 or above
    2) run adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
    3) install server 2012 r2 on new server
    4) make this server an additional AD. Do I replicate here?
    5) move the fsmo roles from my old dc 2008 r2 to new server 2012 r2

What do you reckon? Am I missing something?
  • illegalcerealillegalcereal Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there a specific time frame on this? If not, I would try this in a virtual environment before executing live. If you are going to be decommissioning the old 2008 servers, you'll wanna make the 2012 R2's the global catalog. Yes, perform replication.

Any reason why you aren't upgrading in place instead of migrating? Is the equipment for the 2008 R2 servers old?
  • King_84King_84 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there a specific time frame on this? If not, I would try this in a virtual environment before executing live. If you are going to be decommissioning the old 2008 servers, you'll wanna make the 2012 R2's the global catalog. Yes, perform replication.

Any reason why you aren't upgrading in place instead of migrating? Is the equipment for the 2008 R2 servers old?

Thank you for your reply,

No time scale yet. I was going to perform this in a test environment first. The equipment is quite old and we have some new servers recently delivered.

A Q, once I have completed the above steps and making the server a GC, would I only need to change the ip address of the server 2012 r2 to the one that was used for the server 2008 r2? Would then all users, servers point to this DC automatically?

Ta
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you googled this? I did a quick search on google and came across this.
    Step-By-Step: Active Directory Migration from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

I would also suggest looking at TechNet to find anything else you may have questions about.