Anyone know about HP's ATA (Accredited Technical Associate) Certs?

simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone know about HP's ATA (Accredited Technical Associate) Certs?

I think I may have the opportunity to sit one or more of their exams for free, presumably as some sort of Beta trial etc. I'm guessing that means there isn't much known yet about them, but I couldn't find a thread here and figured here would be the best place for rumors.

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They aren't new by any means. I remember looking into them about a little over a year ago when I started with my current employer, an HP partner. What I found was the same thing you've hinted at: Almost no one has heard of them outside of the HP partner world. There are probably benefits to partners for employing ATAs, and they probably do legitimately know HP products well. The only sector where HP certification really makes a ton of sense is SAN engineering, since HP has some great SAN products. Still, you probably don't need HP certifications to get a SAN job.

There are also hardware support jobs where HP certification is big. But outside of that, HP certification seems pretty unknown in the market. If you have the opportunity to sit a test and get a certification for free, go for it. It won't hurt and might even be worthy of a spot on your resume -- I just can't see anyone pursuing these in their free time as a method of career advancement.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    We're waiting to here back if we got accepted on the Certiport & HP beta program for the ATA's.

It sound interesting, see here.
  • simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It looks like I'm going to be able to sit three certs. They look to be equivalent to CompTIA's A+, Network+, and Server+.
  • BurrockbBurrockb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello simonmoon,

I just took the ATA Connected Devices exam today. The three exams are prereq's to other exams in the ATA program, which HP's site says will be released in Feb. Apparently CCNA's can skip the networking exam. But I'll need the "server" exam to sit for the certifications that are coming up next month. I'm planning to take the server exam tommorrow.

I found the ATA CD test challenging but I did manage to pass.

I agree with ptilman about how well these exams are know in the market, however for improving your knowledge or as part of an effort to stay current they are very worthwhile. I intend to review the areas where I didn't do as well because it was knowledge that I felt that I should know.

Good luck with your exams.
  • simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you think it was on the same level as A+? Easier? Harder?
    Simonmoon,

Sorry for the slow reply.

I passed the A+ years ago and didn't find it challenging. The HP's CD test was definately more challenging, but I haven't seen the new version of the A+.

I really like the nature of the questions on the ATA exams and think it is a good program. I've taken and passed all three of the ATA basic tests and I'm looking forward to the release of the Cloud exam.

Has anyone heard any news on when the Cloud exam will be availible?
    Simonmoon,

If you're interested I believe the cloud certification test is available now thru Certiport. I'm thinking about going either toway or tommorrow to give it a try.
  • Johno045Johno045 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the ATA Connected Devices a days ago, and i am hoping to take the network one in a few days, The connected devices exam is alot harder than the A+ ( 50 questions 50 mins, and a few of the questions are "Scenario based with exhibits, with drag and drop answers) so you have very little time, to answer all the questions never mind reviewing them. I have been told that The network exam is on par with CCNA, and the hardest one is the server.
    yes the cloud cert is out now, so hopefully i will have all 4 in the next week or two. ( My company pays for my exams)
    If you fail to Prepare "YOU" Prepare to FAIL
  • fenix55555fenix55555 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you guys know where I can find some good preparation materials for HP ATA (either one of the first three certifications) ?
    I want to give it a try but I do not have any idea from where I should study.

Appreciate!
  • ionicadrgsionicadrgs Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have some good preparation materials for HP ATA Connected Devices? The Preparation Exam CD is not available now to buy, and I need tonight to study a little bit because tomorrow I'll take the exam and I hope I'll pass :)
  • j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Correct me if I am wrong, the ATA exams are delivered by Certiport?
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • ionicadrgsionicadrgs Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes, by certiport. Do you have some materials?
  • adikeshavadikeshav Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is the Networks exam equivalent to CCNA? i plan to write the HP-ATA networks exam
    I had a dream i was king .Woke up , Still kind:cheers:
  • muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    i got some vouchers of hp ata exam from csta ..

No certiport centers near here , so didnt take the exam...
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got the free voucher from csta too.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    I took the connected devices exam a month ago and the exam was a little challenging. The practice test from measureup helped though. I am not sure if I am going to pursue any more of these as NO ONE knows of these certs.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    adikeshav wrote: »
    Is the Networks exam equivalent to CCNA? i plan to write the HP-ATA networks exam

No the HP ATP would be equivalent of the CCNA
    HP ATP - FlexNetwork Solutions V2 | HP ExpertOne
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge