Options

Learning How To Learn Course @ Coursera

ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
Hi All,

This weekend I signed up for a course being offered at Coursera.

University of California, San Diego
Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects

I'm now week 2 and have found some of the insights and techniques very powerful and have already used some of the tools to change how I study for certifications as well as general IT training.

Here is the book that is used:
A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra), by Barbara Oakley (Foreword by Terrence Sejnowski), ISBN: 978-0399165245.
Here is a link to the intro video: https://d1a2y8pfnfh44t.cloudfront.net/2a801220ef0811e3a68f290319083f70/full/540p/index.mp4

[h=2]About the Course[/h]This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects.

Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide.

[h=2]Course Syllabus[/h]Learning How to Learn is meant to give you practical insight on how to learn more deeply and with less frustration. The lessons in this course can help you in learning many different subjects and skills. Whether you love language or math, music or physics, psychology or history, you'll have a lot of fun, and learn a LOT about how to learn virtually any subject!

This is a 4-week course. You may spend an hour or two watching the videos each week, or you may choose to dive deeper and complete a Verified Certificate or even a "with Distinction" honor. It’s all up to you! Although not required, we also encourage you to read the material on the week's topics in the book, A Mind for Numbers, where some of these ideas are explored more deeply.Incidentally, don't worry if you're not a "numbers" person, A Mind for Numbers is still for you, because it's a general book about learning.

Every Friday at 12:00 PM Eastern Time, the weekly content will be posted for the weekend and the upcoming week. Here is an overview of the weekly topics for the course;

Week 1 – Introduction: Focused versus Diffuse Thinking
Week 2 – Chunking
Week 3 – Procrastination and Memory
Week 4 – Renaissance Learning and Unlocking Your Potential

By the end of the course, we expect you to be able to do the following:
  • Explain the difference between focused and diffuse modes of thinking.
  • Explain what a chunk is, and how and why you can and should enhance your chunking skills.
  • Explain how working memory and long term memory differ from one another.
  • Describe key techniques to help students learn most efficiently such as: the Pomodoro, metaphor, story, visualization, deliberate practice, and interleaving.
  • Describe actions that hinder students from learning most effectively such as procrastination, over-learning, Einstellung, choking, multi-tasking, illusions of learning, and lack of sleep.
  • Describe the most important aspects of proper test preparation.
  • Explain the importance of “mindset” in learning.

[h=2]Recommended Background[/h]No background is necessary for this course, which is suitable for everyone from college and high school students to advanced professors in the social science, humanities, and STEM disciplines who wish to help their students learn better.
Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
Possible Start Masters in Information Security

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Currently in this class and enjoying it.

To me, the instructors are tying together alot of the more effective learning methodologies and presenting them in one course.

I am interested in reading the book, A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel in Math and Science. Put that one on my reading list for 2015.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    I'm already in Chapter 8 of the book and the videos do a pretty good job of describing what's in the book. The book goes into more detail and gives more anecdotal evidence from teachers and students who have both experienced these learning issues as well as instructors who offer their take on learning how to learn.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was looking for an answer to this but did not find a solid reply:

Can I join this late?

This looks like a good way to spend a month on before moving onto another subject...
  • Options
    You can still join!
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I joined yesterday, Thanks ..

I have a huge procrastination problem, Joining this course is not helping because it will give me an excuse to procrastinate other things :D
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'm interested in this course, also.

I never struggled in school and always had an easy time, no matter the subject (wait, don't boo me yet) ... and as a result, I never developed study techniques, and dropped out of college twice, as I was bored of it (and also had some social issues to boot).

As it is, I am hoping that I can learn something from this course, so that I can become more efficient in my studies, because if I only become 10% more efficient in my studies, that will save me 50 to 100 hours this year. That's the equivalent of 1 to 2.5 weeks of vacation.

Within 2 or 3 years, the 4 weeks (wait, make that 3 since I'm starting late) that I spend on this course will have paid for itself in saved time, and that is only if I can get a 10% benefit. What if I get a 20% benefit? or 30%? Keep in mind that I really only got serious about examining how I study within the past couple months, even going so far as getting a membership at the "art of memory" forum.

Cheers!

Note: I'm not going for the "verified certificate" option. They seem to really push it on you in the opening screens.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    11jte2+797iz64jn1jzk11jte2+797iz64jn1jzk Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually trying to mark your project for this course but the link you provided won't allow me to see it (first because I wasn't signed up, now because it says I don't have permission to view the page). I'm hoping you might have another idea of how I can see it because I'd hate to give you a zero just because I can't see the work you've done.
  • Options
    Oh dear... let me see if I can find it.
  • Options
    Here is the original post.
  • Options
    This link will help. This contains the post.