failed 4 times need help!

techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone! this is my first time posting. I could really use some advice. I've taken the ccna exam (640-607) 4 times and failed all 4 times. the last time coming the closest, got a 821. I've been using Todd lamle's book. for some reason I just can't seem to get those easy networking basic questions right. the conceptual questions. got a 50% twice, and a 25%. Is there a way I can pinpoint those questions, and get those right? is there a study guide, just for those conceptual questions? questions like what's the difference between a routed and a routing protocol? or, what are three causes of LAN congestion? questions like that for some reason get me every time. Is there a way I can improve my networking basic score. the only other area I have trouble on is routed protocols. I think if I can improve my networking basics score I should pass the test. I'm taking it for the fifth time, on monday. I've read todd lamle's book, is there onother study guide, just for the basic questions? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
information belongs to the public! hack the planet!

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Try studying for the Network+ exam first. I've heard that's harder, but it's very good prep for CCNA.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • xoxaxoxa Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no offence, but if you dont know whats the difference between routed and routing protocols then what do you know? Try reading todd lamle's book more carefully and answer all the questions in the book. Remember: practise makes perfect! ;)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Try studying for the Network+ exam first. I've heard that's harder, but it's very good prep for CCNA.

Network+ is definitely not harder than CCNA, it is actually much easier. They cannot even be compared, Network+ is the level of networking knowledge you should have before you even start with preparing for the CCNA exam. But indeed it is very good prep.
    is there a study guide, just for those conceptual questions?
    Check our Network+ TechNotes on this page: icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml

I agree with xoxa though... how can you take the CCNA 4 times if you don't know the difference between routed and routing protocols icon_confused.gif

Here is a piece from our CCNA TechNotes (in the same forum as this post)
    Routed vs Routing Protocols

Routed protocols such as IP, IPX, and AppleTalk are protocols that allow data to be transfered in networks. Routers are used to route the packets between networks. You can configure these routers to use static routes for all your networks, but when the network contains many routers with several LAN and WAN connections, it can become a tedious job to configure all the routes. And when a router fails you will have to manually configure a new route. The solution to this is the use of routing protocols, these allow routers to exchange information about the network and its route, this is called dynamic routing.
  • techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice. I do have a couple of net + books. that could help. the exam notes should help too. I always have trouble with those type of questions, because I guess I forgot some of those questions. they were stuff from semester 1. I got a 100% in lan technologies and the OSI model. and an 85% in bridging and switching, so that's good. hopefully if I can improve my netwroking basic score I should be able to pass? I know the test is weighted. do you know how many questions exactly you can miss? here's another questionXXXXXXXXXhopefully I should pass with a little more practice. My scores have improved each time so that's good. thanks for the help.
    Please take the Cisco confidentiality agreement and our forum registration terms seriously. Disclosing actual exam questions is not permitted. of course you can ask about any topic that is one the exam (as listed in the exam objectives), but to avoid any problems (for you and us) with Cisco don't mention exact questions you had on the exam.

What were you scores on the other sections?

Good luck with your next try, and don't rush it. icon_wink.gif
  • techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got a 100% in LAN technologies, and OSI model. Got an 85% in bridging and switching. got a 77% in routing protocols, got an 88% the time before. got a 83% in wan services three times and then a 66%. I also got a 83% in network management. but I got a 58% in routed protocols. and a 25 % in networking basics. (don't ask me how that happenned) the only two areas I have trouble on is the networking basics, and routed protocols. I guess I got a little to much into detail about the questions. my mistake. my total scores have been, 631 (yikes), then a 758, a 796 third time, and then a 821 on the last try. the technotes will help. could you still pass getting a 50% in the basics but scoring well in all the other areas? or do you have to have at least a 70% in basics, no matter what in order to pass? I would like to know exactly how many questions you can miss without passing? or is that irrelevant, because the CCNA is wieghted? thank you for you're help.
    I really don't know exactly how the exam is scored, only Cisco does. But I don't think you can pass the exam with 50% in any of the domains.

Yeah, you could say the exam is weighted, because the sims weight differently. My estimate would be a max of 6 incorrect questions if you get al the sims correct.

'Routed protocols' in the context of CCNA used to be IP, AppleTalk and IPX. Nowadays it's only IP. How are your subnetting skills?

Don't let the word basics in Network Basics fool you, in Cisco also the basics are detailed. icon_wink.gif

Try to get your hands on as many practice exams as possible. From our link section for example www.techexams.net/cilinks.shtml, be sure to download the demos at www.boson.com and check out this offer for another 100 questions: icon_arrow.gifwww.examforce.com/customer/special4.php?sid=525
    actually my subnetting has gotten pretty good now. I can do it in my head now. when I first learned how to subnet, I was o.k. then I kind of forgot. I got a little rusty. I started taking some of the microsft courses and I put subnetting on the back burner for a little while. and then I had to brush up. now I cann do it in my head. which is really good for the exam. I have no problem with the rotuer sims. I think the router sims are wieghted a little more than the questions are. is that right? I'm not sure exactly how much there weighted though. I know they don't ask any ipx questions anymore. cisco is pretty vague with the networking basics. you're right it could be alot of things, and there all details. thanks fro the links. I already downloaded the ones from boson. I'll check out the other links too. although I also have been using todd lammle's questions. I've found those to be very helpful, since I've seen alot of those questions on the exam. I'll also study the technotes too.
  • cresswellscresswells Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After you sit the test you get a breakdown of how you did in each section.

http://www.celticrover.com/tig/ccna/ccnareviews.asp gives you questions for all the various sections you can expect to see in the exam.

Spend some time on the areas where you are weak. Then go back to the areas that you did well in.

When you average 90-100% in EVERY section, you are ready to resit the test.
  • kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey cresswell..

that was a nice nice that you just gave out..

does anyone have anymore of these kind of sites that they are willing to share the url...

please let me know

thanks

kicker
  • jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can I ask why you did not purchase a Transcender or something before spending $800 on tests and failing. Knowing you can pass the Transcenders or fail them is a lot less expensive then failing 4 times. I think you are rushing things. You should be scoring 87%-100% on ALL practice exams you take on EVERY site you can find with free practice exams or software like Transcender and PrepLogic. Please save yourself the cash and purchase Transcender or something
    Hey cresswells, and jlambert, Thank you for the advice that was very kind of you, but I did finally pass the CCNA about a month ago. This is an old thread. I did however post a new I finally passed thread! that was about a month ago. I used todd lamme's book, and questions, and those helped me. I passed it on the fifth try.How did I afford all the exams? I am very lucky to have a wonderful supportive father, who payed for my tests. (thank you dad) I'm still in college and working on CCNP now.were not rich of course but my dad is helping me with my certifiactions. he didn't want me to give up, and offered to help pay for the exams. The CCNA was hard, but I did improve my score each time I took it. I went from a 631, the first try, to 758, 796, 821, and then finally I passed with an 860. I did use todd lammle's trandcender, But I passed and that's all that mattered. I don't like to give up. When I really want something, I will do it until I pass. again I thank everyone on this site who helped me, especially webmaster. This is a great site! Keep up the good work guys!
    Nice to have such supportive people close to you :) Keep believing in yourself, finish your CCNP and I'm sure you'll be able to pay back your dad some day icon_wink.gif
    Thanks for the kind words webmaster. This is a great site, and with people like you and others, this site will continue to be the best for a very long time!
  • jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congratulations on the pass. like Webmaster said, just know you can do it and you will get through it.
    I just went on to Yahoo and typed CCNA. That is how I found this site and Celtic Rover

does anyone have anymore of these kind of sites that they are willing to share the url...
    Have you tried our link section yet: www.techexams.net/cilinks.shtml ?

I'm working on some pages for the different CCNA exams like I did for the CompTIA exam, for example: www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml
    I recertified a couple of weeks ago. Failed with 835 then passed with 949.

Getting time to study was main reason for failure. Just used free sites and Todd Lammle book, so no cost other than exams themselves.

Interestingly, I couldn't book a 642 recertify, so had to do the 640-407.

Don't know whether the recertify is easier or harder to pass.
  • rana_choudhurirana_choudhuri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am pursuing CCNA.
    but personally i feel 4 time fail is nothing to worry about.
    you have to be strict enough and determined to pass it out in the 5th attempt.
    you should have this expectation. why? simply b,cos "LIFE WITHOUT EXPECTATION IS SAME AS DESERT WITHOUT OASIS".
    Thanks rana! I never give up. I remember how down I was after i failed the fourth time. but I never gave up. I took the test a week later and passed! there are alot of people who have failed it and given up. but I always say don't give up! look at me I failed 4 times before I passed! and when I did finally pass it was the greatest day! I was very happy. As long as you try you're hardest and don't give up you can acomplish anything!