Passed CISSP exam (1st attempt) 03/29/2014

supergsuperg Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'd like to thank God, my wife, my employer (who reimbursed me for my expenses), and all those who contributed to the creation of the training below.

Here's a list of my reference materials: I actually got ahold of an Official (ISC)² CISSP CBK Review Seminar Student Handbook (Version 12.0); IMHO, this by far was the best resource (aside from the SANS +S Training Program for the CISSP® Certification course) available.

New CISSP® Exam Questions

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

It certainly looks like that you took no chances that you would fail! icon_study.gif
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations....icon_cheers.gif

What is next for you?

PS - Dont forget to get the endorsement process going. I'm still waiting to hear back from mine, but it's only been a week icon_rolleyes.gif

Breadfan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• BenchwarmersBenchwarmers Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, superg!! Look's like your training path was guaranteed for success!!
  • MajorMulliganMajorMulligan Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats superg! Feels good to get those results doesn't it? I about hugged the woman at the test center. LOL Not really, but I did do a little dance. ;)
  • sojournsojourn Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like that Seminar Review Handbook is the single best resource out there. Pity it is so hard to come by!!
  • supergsuperg Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Congratulations....icon_cheers.gif

What is next for you?

PS - Dont forget to get the endorsement process going. I'm still waiting to hear back from mine, but it's only been a week icon_rolleyes.gif

Breadfan

I'm going to maintain my momentum and attempt the CISSP-ISSAP.

After joining ISSA, I noticed they had a 50% discount code on all Auerbach Publications/CRC Press materials, so the Official (ISC)²® Guide to the ISSAP® CBK, Second Edition cost me a whopping $40.

A SANS/GIAC instructor (on his blog) recommended the ISSAP Mind Maps Study Tool provided by Expanding Security, so I'm going to go use that as well.

My plans after that are C|EH and GPEN. I'm also interested in attending WGU (received transfer eval already) and noticed there's quite a few forum members here going that route.

On your CISSP endorsement process, were you able to locate a CISSP or are you going through (ISC)² directly?

I thought I had someone lined up myself but he's gone a-wall.
    sojourn wrote: »
    It sounds like that Seminar Review Handbook is the single best resource out there. Pity it is so hard to come by!!

Definitely. I lucked out and found a copy on eBay for around $100. I've since sold it on Amazon for around $400. Not too bad of a return. icon_wink.gif
    Thank you all for being so welcoming!
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sojourn wrote: »
    I hear ISC2 provides a copy of the latest version to students who attend their CBK seminars. Does anyone know if that is true?
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
    teancum144 wrote: »
    I hear ISC2 provides a copy of the latest version to students who attend their CBK seminars. Does anyone know if that is true?
    Yes, officially that is the only venue where it's made available. I believe students aren't supposed to resale the materials but apparently some decide to anyway. I've participated in the eLearning course and can tell you they don't offer it there.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Something is wrong, who begin the post saying PASSED. I only see JDMurray ??????? It looks like superg but there is not initial post.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• voodoo26voodoo26 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    initial post is not visible icon_study.gif
    2014 Goals CISSP COLOR=#008000]Passed[/COLOR, 2015 Goals CISM COLOR=#ff0000]June[/COLOR
    impelse wrote: »
    Something is wrong, who begin the post saying PASSED. I only see JDMurray ??????? It looks like superg but there is not initial post.
    My Kali Linux browser (Iceweasel) affected the original formatting, so I update the post using IE to make it more readable. Apparently (likely due to the links included) the original post was automatically flagged for moderator review. Hopefully it will be approved soon.
  • jorlamdjorlamd Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took my exam on 4/2 and passed.

I did some digging to see if anyone had posted on the proportion of normal to "innovative“ questions, no luck. I got around ten, I don't think I am aloud to make references to them,or even the specific topic. They were on the main and essential bits of each domain, nothing obscure.

The exam I got was mostly scenario type questions, many centered around the telecom/access control, but it was evenly spread across domains. Not that there isn't large overlap between them!

I prepared the exam in roughly a month, but I did not take time off of work(which would've spared me some aggravation). My routine for each domain was:

-read domain thoroughly using the Sybex 2008 guide.
    -the bits missing of badly covered i that guide I read form the Shon Harris' guide and complemented with wikipedia.
    -did a 100 question CCCure test (pro,loosely related,single domain)
    -I did approximately 30/50 questions fmor the "2250 CISSP questions" book.

I found the Sybex guide to explain some concepts (firewall, RADIUS,wireless scurity) poorly, but overall it has a good chapter length and is easy to read an "to the point". I found the Shon Harris guide very thorough, but too lengthy in some chapters (governance, law &inv). The 2250 question book is useful as a "nice to have", specially in the "access control" domain, but it has a wealth of questions that are either too difficult, for the purposes of the exam, or require additional knowledge that is outside the scope of the CISSP. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing that we are lucky to be around for, lol..

This strategy worked for me and I am very happy to share, as I hit this forum anonymously after long study days in search of some comfort as the dreaded date approached.

Good to meet you all.

cheers!
  • maxermaxer Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If i'm not breaking any rule, i'd be interested to buy your Official (ISC)² CISSP CBK Review Seminar Student Handbook (Version 12.0), its impossible to find it anywhere.