CCNP Switch: Failed

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just barely! Needed 790, got a 751. Not discouraged, but a little upset about the $250. This test is significantly more difficult than CCNA. Back to the drawing board.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear it. Better luck next time!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    *Ouch*.

If you're still on the 642-813 version, I recommend looking at BOTH the FLG and the OCG. (Make sure to look at the errata.)

Also, make sure to use the free SWITCH Lab Manual:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10183

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What did you find difficult, the questions or the lab?
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You got it next time, man! Check out the CCNP SWITCH Simplified book. It's a great reference and I'm using it for my IE studies as well.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    What area did you score weak in? It was a tough exam I thought, I don't remember much about it though. I remember running into questions and scenarios about HSRP and if I had no real world experience I would have crashed and burned that one, pretty sure that was SWITCH
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah and I failed my BCMSN (the old Switch exam) the first time too. I could never get my head around some topics, but now I feel like I *own* L2 :)
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Better luck next time man, I would recommend (if you have not got it) the Chris Bryant CCNP Switch book via Amazon and Switch Simplified. Simplified is very in-depth, so read Bryant first then Simplified and you should be good!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. My two worst categories were implement infrastructure for advanced services and security extension for layer 2. I could also do a little better in Layer 3 services.

I think my biggest problem was mental fatigue. I have been studying day and night for months and sometimes my mind just blanks out.

I looked at my score again. I got a 759 not a 751. I failed by 31 points!
  • dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You got it man! With that score, you should reschedule for the next available date. Make sure you have your weak areas reviewed.
  • dave151dave151 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep at it you will get it! I feel your pain. I could not wrap my head around loop guard, udld, bpdugard, filter and what each did depending on certain conditions. Cisco's MCQ's can be worded very creatively as well. I found labbing it out and actually seeing how it all worked was the best way to get out of the mind melt that books can cause.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    If it is broke, did you try to fix it?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I failed my switch exam (BCMSN) first time round too, and I failed it miserably!

:)
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know the feeling I sat for switch on this past saturday hoping to knock it out before the deadline, looks like i'll be reviewing for the new content.

Best of luck to ya on your next attempt! PM me if you want if you want to do any kind of collaborations / review questions, etc.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish you better luck next time.